Heavens' Henge

Current topics

Re: Heavens' Henge

Postby hvered » 10:51 pm

jon wrote:You don't need a clock if you have a known simultaneous event: You could do this using the planets or Neil's way; using signalling.

This accords with Keimpe's idea ('A Matter of Scale'). We discussed how signalling could take place on May 1st along the Michael Line but it was left in limbo because no-one could work out what signals would be used. Your suggestion of (tin) mirrors is rather good, especially in view of Cornwall's history of tin mining.
hvered

Postby jon » 9:04 am

Your suggestion of (tin) mirrors is rather good, especially in view of Cornwall's history of tin mining.

Thanks, but the credit to Neil for this one (but he imagined using fires): It hadn't occurred to me to use mirrors, but that would be an excellent way to do it: If you have a string of high points and sunrise occurs in the west, all you have to do for longitude is measure what angle the sun is at to find your longitude anywhere else.

A very elegant, quick and simple solution which could allow a whole country to be mapped with little effort.

The type of structure which would be needed to measure the angle of the sun is a round barrow with a flat top (reasons why explained in the book). These exist in Sussex at all the high points which would be required and in the correct configuration (I've been to quite a few of them and have some pictures logged in the Megalithic Portal). Do you happen to know if they exist further along the coast going westwards?

East Sussex flat topped barrows: http://www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=a312&file=index&do=showgall&gid=298
jon

Postby hvered » 10:11 am

I suppose the most obvious flat-topped eminence is Silbury Hill. Looking across to Waden Hill which is remarkably level as well

When I looked at Kingston Russell stone circle in Dorset, overlooking St Catherine's Hill and the Chesil Beach coastline, the first thing I noticed on top of the hill was a) how level it is and b) there was nothing there apart from the very unprepossessing stones. It may be there's a depression near the path, but the site is very overgrown.

Your idea of signalling using fires (or mirrors) is on the same lines as Keimpe's theory if I understand it correctly. Fires on top of beacon hills seem to have worked for aeons.
hvered

Postby Ajai » 8:44 pm

Silbury Hill is officially out of bounds but recently enthusiasts (foreigners, the papers claim) climbed it and upset the heritage people on account of the damage to the slopes. It doesn't appear to have been intended for climbing, not en masse anyway. If the hill was used for observational purposes, the observers were careful not to leave marks.
Ajai

Postby jon » 7:54 am

It doesn't appear to have been intended for climbing, not en masse anyway.

That appears to be the case: I went to have a look (my 8 year old was very keen on climbing it), but found that there are notices saying not to, which is a bit of a shame.

Silbury Hill seems to evoke passions in some: I got my first negative review of the book today from someone who didn't actually buy it (you can review things on Amazon without having bought them). Whoever reviewed it told readers what Silbury Hill was for and why the "old people" were a bunch of neanderthals who worshipped the sun.

Interesting thing is that Silbury Hill is not mentioned in the book, so it's difficult to see why I would get a negative review on something I haven't ever written about. I get the feeling that some traditionalists will do everything they can to scupper the idea that people back then could have been intelligent and well organised?

Anyways, book is out in paperback as of yesterday:

http://stone-hinge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/book.html
jon

Postby Mick Harper » 11:18 am

Hah! Wait till you get no reviews. Then you'll start pining. Speaking of access, in my youth we used to drive down to Stonehenge on Friday nights after the pub and wander round and among the trilithons without anybody or anything juxtaposing. I hope we didn't scratch 'Kilroy woz here' on the stones but I can't be absolutely sure.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 4:06 pm

It's all because we aren't worthy. Or Proper People. Maybe what we need to do is go on a course like this: Archaeology's Dirty Little Secrets

https://www.coursera.org/course/secrets

Then, with pride, we could all say
"Six mumfs ago I couldn't even spell Arkiolojist. Now I is one!"
And write Proper Books.
;-)
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 4:09 pm

Mick Harper wrote:Hah! Wait till you get no reviews. Then you'll start pining. Speaking of access, in my youth we used to drive down to Stonehenge on Friday nights after the pub and wander round and among the trilithons without anybody or anything juxtaposing. I hope we didn't scratch 'Kilroy woz here' on the stones but I can't be absolutely sure.

Blimey, I've just had a very nasty flashback! Was it you I helped rearrange the stones with a JCB? After a mega-session at Wadworths in Devizes?
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 4:12 pm

Ajai wrote:Silbury Hill is officially out of bounds but recently enthusiasts (foreigners, the papers claim) climbed it and upset the heritage people on account of the damage to the slopes. It doesn't appear to have been intended for climbing, not en masse anyway. If the hill was used for observational purposes, the observers were careful not to leave marks.

Many years ago I stumbled on an image of what it was supposed to have looked like in its original glory. It was a white polygonal hill in a lake. Not a blade of grass in sight.

Boreades

Postby jon » 5:02 pm

That's a marvellous graphic of Silbury Boreades. Can't say I know much about that monument.

I'm in the process of constructing a scale version of Stonehinge, but not sure whether to demonstrate it publicly or to have it hidden away just for interested parties (the easy option). Any views much appreciated!

A bit more detail about the fabrication process here:
http://heavenshenge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-crystal-project.html

Jon
jon

PreviousNext

Return to Index