Heavens' Henge

Current topics

Re: Heavens' Henge

Postby jon » 4:42 pm

I was just saying to Boreades that an eminent archaeologist has emailed some comments to the effect that prehistoric peoples didn't have the technology to map/ navigate wide distances. Prove him wrong!

Just going back to this.. did you see the moon last night? Marvellous; anyway the conditions gave me a chance to look at the longitude thing again and thought it might make an interesting discussion piece:

http://heavenshenge.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/full-moon.html

If there's any interest in this, I'll prepare up the details showing how I would have done it (there are a few methods though when you think it through). Thought it might be interesting to see how other people would do the same job (no technology allowed apart from things which are naturally occurring.. trees, stones etc)
jon

Postby hvered » 8:57 pm

Didn't see the moon but do explain. I don't promise to understand but might relate better to natural objects than to technology..
hvered

Postby Boreades » 9:46 pm

Yes - it was a beautifully bright full moon last night, with Jupiter showing brightly just next to it as well. For once in a while it gave a feel for what our ancestors would have routinely seen, without the lume of street lighting to spoil the view. The universe then must have been an awesome and inspirational sight for a much higher percentage of the population.

Coincidentally (we are getting too many of these coincidences) I was watching that as I walked to the pub with a neighbour where I felt the need to tell him all about the latest ideas for the original purpose of Stonehenge.

He happens to be a systems engineer who has patented several tuned circuits for microwave power designs. I was suggesting to him that our consciousness, minds and creative thoughts tap into cosmic tuned circuits. Also related to the concept of The Holographic Universe, from whence several people in different parts of the world will suddenly and seemingly separately produce the same creative breakthoughs at the same time. But that's another book for another time.
Boreades

Postby jon » 9:55 am

Didn't see the moon but do explain. I don't promise to understand but might relate better to natural objects than to technology..

The thing about the moon is that it moves relative to the sphere of the heavens. When the moon is dark, there are points in time when it will instantaneously block off light from bright stars (or allow them to suddenly light up when they are not longer blocked by the moon). This happens a lot but the 'instantaneous' thing only works if the star is going (or coming from) behind a dark moon.

This moment is almost the same over the world (though half the world can't see any one particular event because they are facing the wrong way).

So to know what your longitude is, all you have to do is to point a stick at the moon at the moment this occurs and compare the angle you get (relative to a plumb-bob) with another stick pointed at the same event from the somewhere else that you define as your 'Greenwich'. There's a bit of comparison of angles involved but nothing too tricky.

There's a few other ways of doing it, but a slight variant on this one could be made to be very accurate. If the idea gets a lot of interest, I'll write it up (and a few of the other ways).
Last edited by jon on 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
jon

Postby Iona » 10:09 am

That makes sense, it's exactly how we are used to navigating on land i.e. by using a known landmark to work out a position. 'Reading' the stars seems somehow esoteric or mystical now in an era where so much e.g. electric lights is taken for granted that natural aids are superfluous.
Iona

Postby Iona » 10:09 am

Boreades wrote:Coincidentally (we are getting too many of these coincidences) I was watching that as I walked to the pub with a neighbour where I felt the need to tell him all about the latest ideas for the original purpose of Stonehenge.

You have more interesting neighbours than the average pub-goer I reckon! Though maybe an aware sort of person attracts like-minded souls, en route to the pub or wherever they go?

He happens to be a systems engineer who has patented several tuned circuits for microwave power designs. I was suggesting to him that our consciousness, minds and creative thoughts tap into cosmic tuned circuits. Also related to the concept of The Holographic Universe, from whence several people in different parts of the world will suddenly and seemingly separately produce the same creative breakthroughs at the same time.

Sounds near enough a definition of Zeitgeist! People thought to be ahead of their time may be those who get their ideas out just ahead of their colleagues?
Last edited by Iona on 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iona

Postby jon » 8:10 am

That makes sense, it's exactly how we are used to navigating on land i.e. by using a known landmark to work out a position. 'Reading' the stars seems somehow esoteric or mystical now in an era where so much e.g. electric lights is taken for granted that natural aids are superfluous.

Thanks Iona. I think the most accurate way of doing it would have been to use one of the planets. Does anyone know if the Greek or Latin word for Longitude has an etymology similar to the equivalent name of any one of the planets?
jon

Postby Iona » 12:09 pm

The brightest planet by far seems to be Venus. Any connection to the sea-faring Veneti (or Venetians) do you think?
Iona

Postby jon » 11:16 am

I have no idea to be honest Iona. But I've found that using etymology sometimes seems to lead towards the best answer without having to do the research yourself.
jon

Postby jon » 10:21 am

Update on the heavens' hinge; might be of interest

The idea could also be used for modern day sustainable & renewable fuel generation, so I've set up a blog to look at these ideas. Is it possible that the Empire, whatever form it took, could have been on the right track?

http://flyingoven.blogspot.co.uk/

jon

PreviousNext

Return to Index