Imagining the purpose, by scenario...
So, there you are, on another day on the megalthic path/track/road, trudging along with your donkey(s) laden with your trade goods. Or your team of oxen pulling another sarsen stone to be delivered to the new henge down the road. It's been a long day, your spouse is complaining (its too hot/cold/dismal/wet/different from home), and your children are complaining (I'm tired, are we there yet).
What you need is a safe place to pull off the road and have a rest or stay for the night. Let's call it a "hill fort".
- It's on the top of the hill so that people can more easily see it from megathic miles away and head in that direction.
- It's probably gaily decorated with banners and signs to let travellers know it's open for business.
- It has a nice big protected space in the middle to park your transport (donkeys on the left, heavy goods oxen on the right)
- You can refill your water bags from the moat.
- It probably has a few shops & stalls from local folks keen to cater for hungry/thirsty travellers (mega burgers special today, local goat a speciality)
- The local AA/RAC/hermit can tell you about the road conditions ahead, and how far it is the next service station (hill fort).
How does that sound?