Megalithic America?

Current topics

Megalithic America?

Postby Boreades » 5:23 pm

How about the megalithic stone sites on the American continent? Not very well-studied by the TAs (Traditional Archeologists), as it's a bit career-threatening
Boreades

Re: Megalithic America?

Postby hvered » 9:24 am

Why are American megalithic sites 'career-threatening'? Isn't there a new generation of archaeologists eager to make their mark?
hvered

Postby Boreades » 7:02 pm

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well.

Here in the UK, maybe because we've been invaded so many times the gene pool is so jumbled it's hard to find any living "original native population" and we don't have to be very sensitive. But in some countries (like the US and NZ), there is often a real and heavy dose of poliical correctness on any discussion about history before the recognised native population. What discussion there is can become highly polarised and unhappy. e.g. Bad Archeology - The “megaliths” of New Zealand.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 10:55 am

The inappropriateness of labels like 'Megalithic America' or New Zealand or wherever is very pertinent to The Megalithic Empire which starts off with analysing what megaliths were for, never mind who built them. Everything points to the 'who' being sea-traders.* The problems besetting archaeology, very clearly summarised in the article you referred to, seem to partially arise from these questions.

* The earliest megalithic structures are found along the North African littoral but tend to be overlooked since north-west Europe better fits various agendas, sorry theories.
hvered

Postby Mick Harper » 12:41 pm

Here in the UK, maybe because we've been invaded so many times the gene pool is so jumbled it's hard to find any living "original native population" and we don't have to be very sensitive

This is untrue on two counts. Firstly, the genetic evidence is reasonably clear that all these invasions don't make a thruppenyworth of difference. A few Roman soldiers, a few bastards. What diff? The aboriginal population just goes on going on.

On the other hand we live at a time when mutliculturalism is the prevailing ideology so we are very sensitive about jumbled gene pools. We insist on them! In case you are interested, all this is dealt with in my book The History of Britain Revealed aka (in the USA) The Secret History of the English Language. Though modesty forbids me from mentioning either.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 9:20 pm

Listening to the BBC News today on the "American" Elections made me realise me how silly I've been. I should of course have said "Megalithic USA" as there are an awful lot of megaliths in Mexico and all places further south on the American Continent.

In fact, the Megalithomania Conference 2013 will be in Mexico
http://www.megalithomania.co.uk/mexico2013.html
Boreades

Postby Jools » 11:48 pm

Boreades wrote: I should of course have said "Megalithic USA" as there are an awful lot of megaliths in Mexico and all places further south on the American Continent.

Are you saying megalith-building arose in separate places independently or it began in the USA and spread eastwards? It's easier to cross the Atlantic west to east than vice versa.
Jools

Postby Malmaison » 11:52 pm

Jools wrote: It's easier to cross the Atlantic west to east than vice versa.

This is not strictly true. It is difficult to cross west to east at the latitude of Ireland but the ancient route was south to the Cape Verde Islands and then west across the mid-Atlantic to the Caribbean, then north along the east coast of America to Newfoundland, then across the North Atlantic to Ireland.

The other route was part of the prehistoric Tin Route from the Med. It was known as the Straight Run by some ancient mariners. From Cape St Vincent in Portugal, in the sailing season with favourable winds, the route ran north paralleling the Iberian coast following the North Star and the rising and setting of circumpolar stars like the Pleiades and Draco. It used the Three Land’s Ends – Finisterre in Galicia, Spain, Finistere in Brittany, France and Land’s End in Cornwall as waypoints as well as numerous Megalithic ‘navigation markers’ along the way. This led to the Irish Sea or a more westerly course reached the west coast of Ireland.
Malmaison

Postby Penny » 4:38 pm

Tim Severin re-enacted St Brendan's legendary voyage across the Atlantic, in a hide-covered currach. He sailed to Newfoundland via the Faroes, Iceland and the coasts of Greenland and Labrador.

His voyage was proof that the Irish could have reached north America 800 years before Columbus. It reminded me that Basque and Portuguese fishermen have been cod-fishing off the coast of Newfoundland since forever (salt cod is the national dish) and if the geneticist Stephen Oppenheimer is to be believed there is a high percentage of Basque genes among the Irish.
Penny

Postby Jools » 12:29 am

Boreades wrote: I should of course have said "Megalithic USA" as there are an awful lot of megaliths in Mexico and all places further south on the American Continent.

The way I heard it is the American Continent is Atlantis! Someone called Jim Allen came up with this nifty idea, I was rather surprised to learn it's been there all along. Who knew?
Jools

Next

Return to Index