Book & site list

Current topics

Re: Book & site list

Postby macausland » 6:10 am

That's a good idea. Have a competition and get the experts involved, people with the expertise.

Or perhaps turn it into a video game. Make some money at the same time. There must be a spotty teenager out there just waiting for the opportunity.
macausland

Postby Boreades » 8:57 pm

Last edited by Boreades on 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boreades

Postby macausland » 6:03 am

I'll get the speywife to put a curse on them.

Perhaps one where the criminals walk round and round in circles until they hand the books over when the spell will be broken.

Combined with the one where the boots shrink on the feet and they vow never to leave town again.
macausland

Postby Boreades » 6:26 pm

Better news re visitors. Our most recent arrived with a copy of The Sun and The Serpent, by Paul Broadhurst and Hamish Miller. All about the Michael Line. With much mention of all the All Saints and Dragons that have been entertaining us here on TME.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 2:52 pm

We sent Paul a copy of TME (because of the stature of Sun and Serpent) which he much enjoyed -- and we use his comments on our Amazon page. He sent back his latest, The Secret Land, which I enjoyed (and recommend).
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 6:13 pm

The Celts: Origins, Myths & Inventions: Origins, Myths and Inventions - by John Collis

It's been recommended elsewhere.
What does the panel think?
Boreades

Postby macausland » 10:05 am

Radio 4 is broadcasting a reading from Adam Thorpe's 'On Silbury Hill' each morning this week. I think the episodes are repeated the following day as well at a different time.

The book seems to be his personal thoughts on Silbury, Stonehenge and Marlborough inspired by his time at that school and from readings of the work of various archaeologists and other writers on the subject. Sorry about using the 'A' word in these hallowed precincts but perhaps he could be invited to write another book based on the profound knowledge and findings discussed herein. etc.

Anyway the beeb only keeps these things up for about a week before destroying them. Traditional practice in that organisation I believe.

Here's the link to today's programme on the listen again site if anyone's interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fc21r

You'll need to google radio 4 schedules to get the rest of them.
macausland

Postby Boreades » 9:56 pm

A nice piece. Only spoilt by mention of the A-twats who still insist Stonehenge must be a Place Of Death because they've found a few bodies there. Just like Westminster Abbey and all those "high-caste" burials found there?

Also interesting in that it mentioned that Marden Henge once also had a hill.
I'd not heard of that before, has anyone else heard of it?
Until buggered up by the A's?
MH is perhaps the largest henge monument in Britain and also the most forgotten.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 9:45 am

Thanks, Mac, for the info, I'd like to listen as there was a review of Adam Thorpe's book back in July in the Guardian that made it sound as though it's just 'there', a pointless manmade hill, which seemed rather counter-productive to say the least.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 9:42 pm

For anyone who enjoys old maps.

Lewis and William Morris of Anglesey in the 18th Century. They did some pioneering hydrographic work.
http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=lew ... liammorris

The charts can be seen here: http://www.liv.ac.uk/~cmi/lewismorris/lewis.html

Example:

Boreades

PreviousNext

Return to Index