Book & site list

Current topics

Re: Book & site list

Postby Boreades » 3:47 pm

Oakey Dokey wrote:For an example, different types of Masonic practice believe that it is founded from the builders of the second Solomon temple, others from the Tower of Babel (Israel's imprisonment and slavery in Babylon). The history time-lines are also skewed such as the lineage unbroken from before the great flood (of Noah) to David and the first temple, even though there are in some cases obvious gaps. The most interesting point is that the story they tell is more important to their ideology than the accuracy.

This is where things start to break down, or at least for me as I'm not adept at seeing symbolism above facts, so find great difficulty in understanding why such an eastern way of doing things is prevalent today amongst the learned and influential of Western culture.

The history and meaning of Freemasonry is obscure and difficult to understand even for practising masons. Part of the confusion comes from the orthodoxy of the United Grand Lodge of England i.e. the UGLE has its own Creation Myth, and the official history is that UK Freemasonry started 24 June 1717 etc etc. Most masons are happy with that and treat their Lodges just as fraternal dining clubs that also do good via charity fund-raising. Some are more curious and wonder what all the symbolism means, and take up what masonic ritual asks them to do. i.e. to study The Seven Liberal Arts, the hidden mysteries of nature and science, and to search for the Lost Secrets. In doing so, a few masons like Robert Lomas and Michael Baigent have written extensively. See The Hiram Key etc. Which is a bit awkward for UGLE as it points out all kinds of anomalies in the official history.

There are some connections of interest to Megalithic-minded folks. I'd suggest Hiram of Tyre as a starting point. It was from Tyre that King Solomon is said to have got the megalithic engineering skills to build his temple. Tyre was an important Phoenician city, and a hub of their trading empire.
Last edited by Boreades on 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 5:34 pm

Has anyone come across an American author called Dolores LaChapelle? I ask because she was recommended to me by a German ethnobotanist who has just co-published her apparently seminal work, Earth Wisdom, written in 1978.

His enthusiasm for the influence of the Earth, the land and above all the place on its inhabitants and the human psyche may of course reflect more on German sensibilities than the book's intrinsic worth. For my money, no-one has yet rivalled W.G. Hoskins or Oliver Rackham.
hvered

Postby Stuart » 10:42 am

I started reading a book on Robin Hood with the subtitle "The Real Story of the English Outlaw" which should have put me on my guard. The author is a historian and laboriously sets out to find historical evidence for RH, completely relying on written sources of course.

I put the book to one side and never returned to it, but watched part of a film also called Robin Hood starring Russell Crowe. A Kiwi playing an English folk hero doesn't work but interestingly the film-makers chose to name him Robin Longstride which has resonances with seven-league boots and the winged boots of Hermes.
Stuart

Postby hvered » 11:01 pm

I also recommend The Eitingons: A Twentieth-Century Story.
hvered

Postby Rocky » 8:46 pm

Ajai wrote:Homer is named for Hermes. Probably.

I'd buy a book written by the god of eloquence!
Rocky

Postby Boreades » 10:57 am

Rocky wrote:
Ajai wrote:Homer is named for Hermes. Probably.

I'd buy a book written by the god of eloquence!

Simpson?
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 5:58 pm

I've just found a book, which I think is "our kind of book".

A Gigantic Whinge around the Celtic Fringe - for the princely sum of £1.53 as an eBook.

e.g.
"If you consider the south east of England to be the centre of something then the broadly speaking Celtic bits of the British Isles can be considered a ‘fringe’. The west of Scotland, Ireland - the Republic and the North, Wales, Cornwall and Brittany all lie on the edge of the Atlantic. From the perspective of someone travelling on a road or rail network they are remote from the ‘centre’ and hence on the ‘fringe’. Once you start travelling independently by sea and are not constrained by ferry routes, you realise that the fragmented bits of this ‘Celtic Fringe’ are more or less contiguous. They form a connected whole. This was what it was like for our ancestors, for whom the sea was not so much a barrier but the main highway, albeit a dangerous and fraught one. It was easier to travel long distances by sea than through the boggy, tangled undergrowth of most of England. The latter was an uninviting swamp on the fringe of the Celtic world. "

and then his version of a map of Britain, which exactly as he says gives a delightfully different perspective on what is "the right way up" for a map of Celtic Britain - and megalithia.

Map_of_britain.JPG
Map_of_britain.JPG (53.06 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 6:12 pm

hvered wrote:Talking of talks, here's one for the diary:

WALKING THE ANCIENT LANDSCAPE – the signs to look for

Description:

Nobody knows how Ancient Britons navigated round the country. Nobody knows what the stone circles such as Stonehenge were for. The authors, Harriet Vered and Mick Harper, demonstrate that it was the stone circles that told people how to navigate! But these are only the main road junctions in a whole landscape filled with visual signposts. You will now be able to walk the Ridgeway, or indeed local road systems, with a completely new understanding.

It'll be dealing with navigating around the countryside based on the Megalithic System as outlined in TME, or something along those lines.

24 January 2013, 6.30 pm, at Wokingham library. £2. All welcome!

I have booked a place! I will be skiving off work an hour early to leave the West Country and bravely go among the English.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 6:37 pm

Oakey Dokey wrote:There are basically two types of religion -- literal and allegorical.
The Masonic rites and the Kabbalah belong to the allegorical category with the deliberate intention to replace literal facts and events with symbolism and deeper meaning without the intention to deceive (the initiated). The Masonic degrees, at least up to the 30th, make no apology for getting history wrong.

For an example, different types of Masonic practice believe that it is founded from the builders of the second Solomon temple, others from the Tower of Babel (Israel's imprisonment and slavery in Babylon). The history time-lines are also skewed such as the lineage unbroken from before the great flood (of Noah) to David and the first temple, even though there are in some cases obvious gaps. The most interesting point is that the story they tell is more important to their ideology than the accuracy.

This is where things start to break down, or at least for me as I'm not adept at seeing symbolism above facts, so find great difficulty in understanding why such an eastern way of doing things is prevalent today amongst the learned and influential of Western culture.

It's a puzzle to me as well.

By chance I've just been reading an account of the Phoenician Temple of Gadir. Gadir is situated on the Atlantic coast of Spain, just outside the Straits of Gibraltar. From its description of two inscribed pillars it sounds very masonic.

http://riversfromeden.wordpress.com/201 ... -of-gadir/

The island was just offshore of the Spanish kingdom of Tartessos. The Tartessans appear to have been on friendly terms with the Phoenicians at Gadir and traded heavily with them. Tartessos was rich with mines that produced lead, tin, silver, copper and gold. The most valuable of these minerals was tin. Tin is required for the manufacture of bronze, yet it is a very rare mineral. On the other hand, bronze was used to make almost everything in the ancient world, even after the introduction of iron.

In the spirit of enjoying the hunt for the symbolism, I wonder if you have read "Uriel's Machine" by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas? They do a lovely job of portraying a Megalithic Master trying to explain some basic astronomy and science to Enoch (who's clearly a numpty). I'm not sure about their leap to the Orkneys, or their way of deriving the megalithic yard, but it's still a great story.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 8:52 pm

Boreades wrote:I have booked a place! I will be skiving off work an hour early to leave the West Country and bravely go among the English.

That's great, very pleased that you can make it.
hvered

PreviousNext

Return to Index