Book & site list

Current topics

Re: Book & site list

Postby Boreades » 1:48 pm

Our Draco discussions came to mind...

Given the known Draco (and other) family interest in mining in Ireland, the amphibious strike force by John Norreys and Francis Drake could be seen as "business by other means", driving the Scots from Ulster, so that the English could get control of the valuable mining assets, especially the gold.

etc

.. after I just stumbled on what is said to be an excerpt from Drake’s prayer, 1577, written in Portsmouth as he began his circumnavigation of the globe.

“Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little,
When we arrive safely because we sailed too close to the shore.”

“Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
to venture on wider seas, where storms will show your mastery,
where losing sight of land, we shall find the stars.”

Gosh, that's bold talk, and wildly ambitious.
He must have inspired and terrified his crew in equal measure.
Boldly going where no English man had gone before.
(sailing at full speed off the edge of the map, there be dragons, and all that).
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 2:42 am

One of you will have to read this. I can't because I've popped a tendon tobogganing (no snow).

Numbers of the Gods - Unlocking the Secret Science of the Druids, Author: Sylvain Tristan (an old acquaintance of ours but don't let that put you off). Published by Progressive Press 400 pages RRP $19.95 All quotes from the Megalithic Portal review, in full here http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146414283

Sylvain’s aim is to show that the Druids, their ancestors and descendants, have secretly kept alive a body of knowledge until the present day. In order to do this he initially (in part 1) traces the history of the Druids using known historical sources. This isn't so much about the Druids as such, but the history of French interest in ‘earth mysteries’ in general. It seems that 'The Old Straight Track' idea of ley lines is alive and well in France, and has been for at least 80 years.

In part 2 the work of Alan Butler and Christopher Knight is brought in, and in particular their work on the Phaistos disc and 366 degree geometry. This is closely followed by Alexander Thom and the megalithic yard.

Part 3 brings us up to the present day; from Roman times through medieval, and this is where I was most surprised. Sylvain’s evidence of 'shenanigans' involving the siting of structures in France during the last couple of centuries (without giving too much away) is quite compelling, and something else that I hadn't come across before.

Part 4 concerns itself with the nuts and bolts of the proposed science, whereby time, distance and physical constants have been combined in an integrated system, similar to the metric system but much older. This is the shortest part of the book but it contains a lot of information on this system, all written in plain English with the minimum of maths. Well worth reading in its own right.

It’s all in all, a very well written book with copious quotes and references, illustrated throughout, and many Google Earth maps
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 10:54 am

Re Numbers of the Gods: Unlocking the Secret Science of the Druids
The paperback edition was published (on Amazon) just recently :12th Dec 2016.

This history of the Druids in France sounds much like Graham Robb's book. Whereas The Ancient Paths: Discovering the Lost Map of Celtic Europe by Graham Robb was published (on Amazon) in Oct 2013. As previously discussed on TME

Likewise all the work of Alan Butler and Christopher Knight : available in their own original works for years. APDOT

Likewise the siting of structures in France. See various on the interweb for many years. APDOT?

Likewise time, distance and physical constants combined in an integrated system. See the opus on Ancient Metrology by John Neal : "All Done With Mirrors". APDOT

It seems like much of this new book is a recycling of others' material, unless anyone can quote actual new material?
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 1:51 pm

Mick Harper wrote: Part 4 concerns itself with the nuts and bolts of the proposed science, whereby time, distance and physical constants have been combined in an integrated system, similar to the metric system but much older. This is the shortest part of the book but it contains a lot of information on this system, all written in plain English with the minimum of maths. Well worth reading in its own right.

Here's something you mentioned earlier:

Mick Harper wrote: My post detailing all this disappeared too and I am disinclined to go through it all once more unless anybody thinks it necessary. John Neal is an old mucker of mine and, yes, his work on metrology is groundbreaking but unfortunately he publishes (himself) books that are are somewhat forbidding because he insists on doing everything to the seventh decimal point and using various other reader-unfriendly devices. But even so All Done With Mirrors is required reading.

Can you get your old mucker to post a review?
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 3:36 pm

I last saw him in Glastonbury when I gave my now famous lecture (17 views on YouTube and climbing) Jethou, Omphalos of the Bronze Age. Time and tide, I'm afraid.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 3:48 pm

Mick Harper wrote: my now famous lecture (17 views on YouTube and climbing) Jethou, Omphalos of the Bronze Age.

You might get more views if it was in Youtube's search results.
Are you sure it's on Youtube?
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 3:57 pm

Sorry, I was being flippant. The full 56 minute monte is called Megalithomania -- An M J Harper Lecture and can be found here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6TFjNBJmU
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 9:55 pm

Only 56 mins? If I can get M'Lady's permission, I'll book an hour for that. After I get back from mucking out the hens and a trip to the Off Licence with the empties.

Meanwhile Harpo, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to use your superior intellect and tell us what all this means.

John Anthony West - 5 Hour Epic Presentation - Our Secret History
(the sphinx had been subject to rainfall for thousands of years, etc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDrO7Tr1Fw
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 10:52 pm

I hesitate since a) I don't like anything much to do with Ancient Egypt and b) I once had an exchange with Mr West about the effect that paint would have on his weathering theory. I was puzzled since all accounts confirm that the sphinx, like all ancient monuments, were constantly painted the most vivid colours but neither he nor anyone else ever make reference to this, I would have thought, salient fact.

I am writing to Athens to instruct them to paint the Parthenon. I want to witness the cries of 'barbarism' should they go for accuracy rather than that which we associate with ancient gravitas. I can do Stonehenge myself.
Mick Harper

Postby TisILeclerc » 11:08 pm

I would imagine that if the sphinx was painted the paint would repel the rain to a certain extent so slowing the weathering process down.

Which would make it even older.
TisILeclerc

PreviousNext

Return to Index