Book & site list

Current topics

Re: Book & site list

Postby Boreades » 4:24 pm

Mick Harper wrote: It still remains to discover who was copying whom though.

I refer my honourable colleague to the answers provided by Celtic Coins.

"Celtic coinage was minted by the Celts from the late 4th century BC to the late 1st century BC. Celtic coins were influenced by trade with and the supply of mercenaries to the Greeks, and initially copied Greek designs, especially Macedonian coins from the time of Philip II of Macedon and his son, Alexander the Great. Thus Greek motifs and even letters can be found on various Celtic coins, especially those of southern France."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_coinage

There's another topic : the supply of mercenaries to the Greeks.

'ello Doris dear, I'm home from the Hellenics.
Yeah, we sorted them out, proper job.
'ere, have a look at these funny shiny metal things they gave us.

You want Provenance?
Here
http://www.celticcoins.ca/coin.php
Thousands of 'em, and coin hoards. Especially the Durotriges in Dorset. : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durotriges
And the Dobunni round Bristol : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobunni
Unless they were all forgeries made by Harpo's ancestors in the Channel Islands?
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 4:30 pm

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I do not disagree with anything you say (or agree, I just don't know) but I was only referring to the British penny and the strikingly similar Phoenician coin.
Mick Harper

Postby TisILeclerc » 5:33 pm

Haven't found Britannia yet although there are quite a few of blokes sitting down playing a lyre.

And plenty of inscriptions with Cassi on them.

This coin is from the Atrebates and made with silver.

Was the Star of David a local sign does anyone know?

http://www.celticcoins.ca/record.php?co ... itype=prov
TisILeclerc

Postby hvered » 5:34 pm

"Celtic coinage ... initially copied Greek designs, especially Macedonian coins from the time of Philip II of Macedon and his son, Alexander the Great. Thus Greek motifs and even letters can be found on various Celtic coins, especially those of southern France."

South of France, where Greek traders reportedly dominated mainly from the port of Massalia, and they find Greek coins. No, sorry, Celtic coins. Yeah, right.
hvered

Postby Mick Harper » 5:45 pm

Was the Star of David a local sign does anyone know?

I was just about to say that a) the wealthiest coin-collectors are Jewish and therefore b) the most astute coin-forgers might put Stars of David on their creations but c) I desisted on the grounds that d) I don't know whether a) is true and anyway e) I am trying not to annoy Borry and in any case f) I recall recently noticing that the Star of David design is not particularly Jewish g) I may even have read this in The God-Kings so h) I will let you know when I curl up with it tonight.
Mick Harper

Postby TisILeclerc » 6:01 pm

The Star of David features in all English sword dances whether long sword or rapper.

It's usually performed as one of the dancers sticks his head in the middle, wearing a top hat for safety, and his head is chopped off.

I saw someone lose most of his hand in this way. He had to leave his pint on the bar which was a shame.

I didn't know there were any Jewish money men in England before the Romans. But they probably came in with the Phoenicians and Hittites.
TisILeclerc

Postby TisILeclerc » 6:13 pm

An As coin from the reign of Antoninus Pius struck in 154 AD showing Britannia on the reverse

The Emperor Claudius paid a visit while Britain was being conquered and was honoured with the agnomen Britannicus as if he were the conqueror; a frieze discovered at Aphrodisias in 1980 shows a bare breasted and helmeted female warrior labelled BRITANNIA, writhing in agony under the heel of the emperor.[4] She appeared on coins issued under Hadrian, as a more regal-looking female figure.[5] Britannia was soon personified as a goddess, looking fairly similar to the goddess Minerva. Early portraits of the goddess depict Britannia as a beautiful young woman, wearing the helmet of a centurion, and wrapped in a white garment with her right breast exposed. She is usually shown seated on a rock, holding a spear, and with a spiked shield propped beside her. Sometimes she holds a standard and leans on the shield. On another range of coinage, she is seated on a globe above waves: Britain at the edge of the (known) world. Similar coin types were also issued under Antoninus Pius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia

Britannia was a work in the making.

The Barats brought the name and the imagery of the sun goddess who had connections with the sea hence the later trident. They brought their image of the sun in two forms, the swastika and the cross. In several images the Hittites bring them together in a primitive Union Jack type design which is associated with their goddess.
TisILeclerc

Postby hvered » 6:16 pm

The church that faces Wittenham Clumps has a Star of David over the front door which I once photographed thinking it was curious. No idea when it was carved but I wondered if there was a Masonic connection since it's a pretty weird area, the local gentry had links to the Kit-Kat Club and some mad poet wrote verse on one of the Clump's trees.
hvered

Postby TisILeclerc » 6:26 pm

It must have had significance for them otherwise they wouldn't have drawn it out. Although like Anglo Saxon and Celtic designs it is an interlaced design and a form of the cross.

There are videos on youtube where they experiment with harmonics and the different shapes produced when sand or powder is put on a horizontal plate that is subjected to vibrations at ever increasing frequencies.

I'm sure the Star of David appears at one point. And that's one of the simpler images that appear.
TisILeclerc

Postby TisILeclerc » 7:18 pm

122.—The earliest figure of Britannia on a Roman coin.
Source:
Knight, Charles: “Old England: A Pictorial Museum” (1845)

The Roman dominion in Britain nearly perished in this revolt. Partial tranquillity was secured, in subsequent years of mildness and forbearance towards the conquered tribes. Vespasian extended the conquests; Agricola completed them in South Britain. His possessions in Caledonia were, however, speedily lost. But the hardy people of the North were driven back in the reign of Antoninus Pius. Then first appeared on the Roman money the graceful figure of Britannia calmly resting on her shield (Fig. 122), which seventeen centuries afterwards has been made familiar to ourselves in the coined money of our own generation. Let us pause awhile to view one of the great Roman cities which is held to belong to a very early period of their dominion in England.

http://words.fromoldbooks.org/CharlesKn ... hames.html

Here's one that dates from the Roman occupation and is definitely getting to the Britannia we are all familiar with.

It's taken from an online copy of a Victorian book so I would suggest chasing that up for further details.
TisILeclerc

PreviousNext

Return to Index