Book & site list

Current topics

Re: Book & site list

Postby Boreades » 11:03 pm

Note to the general audience:

We apologise if things appear to be getting more than a bit confusing.
They are.
Harpo was once one of the greats of the unorthodox historians.
See the TME book.
But nowadays it seems he's getting old and tired (like many of us).
Maybe he just gets a bit grumpy if another unorthodox historian dares to steal his thunder.

We hope this is a temporary abnormality and (ab)normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 11:04 pm

Show us your evidence and we'll show you ours

Well, I was rather hoping some of you would do the work but here goes

1. The Barat coin 'Britannia' is a cross between the 1797 British penny and the 1947 British penny Britannia
2. The concordances between the Barat and the British coins are so striking that one must have been derived from the other.
3. If the Barat coin was discovered before 1797 and the British knew about it then the Barat may be genuine
4. If it was discovered after 1797 then the British could not have known about it and could not have copied it
5. Therefore the makers of the Barat coin copied the British design
6. Since 'Barat' is supposed to have lived in the third century BC and that is before 1797 it must be a forgery.

Over to you Tissie to tell us when your coin was discovered.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 11:12 pm

Sorry, you've failed again.
3 and 4 are suppositions.
Neither provides proof for 5 and 6.

See also the Roman Britannia coins

An Orichalcum Sestertius of the Emperor Antoninus Pius, the reverse showing a seated figure of Britannia. Similar designs appeared on dupondii and asses possibly struck at a field mint in Britain

http://www.numsoc.net/rombrit.html
and
http://www.royalmint.com/discover/brita ... the-romans

Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 11:14 pm

And when was that one discovered?
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 11:15 pm

On coins of the emperor Hadrian (117-138AD) she is featured in classic flowing robes with a spear and shield, seated on rocky crags which probably provided the invaders’ first view of Britain.

Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 11:16 pm

And when was that one discovered?
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 11:17 pm

Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 11:29 pm

No answer, came the stern reply. I often find that's the case. Meanwhile we are being asked to believe that the Phoenicians of the third century (and presumably somewhere in the Middle East, though I must confess I didn't know the Phoenicians were still around in the third century AD, maybe Borry's right and I am losing my touch) would adopt the design used in the previous century by people making a representation of their first view of the rocky crags of Britain even though that first view was one or two centuries before that.
Mick Harper

Postby TisILeclerc » 11:36 pm

As this is from Waddell it's worth showing one of his prints.

Not exactly the threepenny bit we all love or the fifty new pence but it was probably worth a lot more in its time.

Here's a couple more.

This is not a coin but it gives the general idea. Right across the empire to India Barat, Birhat was a goddess. Of the sea I believe. Notice she holds a cross which was the symbol of the sun. Their god was Bel. Sometimes it's shown as a swastika as on the Newton Stone. And known all over the world for that matter and not as the patron saint of lederhosen.

Here's a statue from South Shields of the wife of Barates in South Shields second century AD.

I wonder if Boreades is a Barat?

And last but not least this is a map of the place names around Bennachie where the Newton stone was discovered. And where it stands today. There are some Barat names and some Peht or Pictish names. In other words two kinds of people living in close proximity.

http://www.jrbooksonline.com/pob/pob_ch01.html
TisILeclerc

Postby Mick Harper » 11:39 pm

I am not disputing the other stuff. Only the concordant ones.
Mick Harper

PreviousNext

Return to Index