Book & site list

Current topics

Re: Book & site list

Postby Marko » 1:13 pm

Boreades wrote: Rupert Sheldrake, one of the world's most innovative scientists, shows that science is being constricted by assumptions that have hardened into dogmas.

Scientists are so precious. Just read a Guardian journalist laying into Brian Cox's Wonders of Life because he thinks a biologist rather than a physicist should have presented the programme. Even though he accepts Cox's premise of the interconnectedness of all life. Strewth.
Marko

Postby Boreades » 2:13 pm

Marko wrote:
Boreades wrote: Rupert Sheldrake, one of the world's most innovative scientists, shows that science is being constricted by assumptions that have hardened into dogmas.

Scientists are so precious. Just read a Guardian journalist laying into Brian Cox's Wonders of Life because he thinks a biologist rather than a physicist should have presented the programme. Even though he accepts Cox's premise of the interconnectedness of all life. Strewth.

I've heard that the BBC became risk-adverse about using heavyweight biologists ever since the much-loved David Belamy started showing signs of independent and non-consensus thinking e.g. that perhaps not all global warming was man-made. James Lovelock (of Giai Hypothesis fame) would have been perfect for Wonders of Life, except he also has disgraced himself by saying he had been "alarmist" about climate change, and it hasn't happened the way he predicted. As “an independent and a loner,” he said he did not mind saying “All right, I made a mistake.” whereas a university or government scientist might fear an admission of a mistake would lead to the loss of funding.

Fortunately Brian Cox is a relative lightweight, still climbing the greasy pole of public science, and can be relied on to toe the party line and give us "consensus" science.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 3:41 pm

I have a rule of thumb nowadays for science programmes. If it's some dude travelling round the globe I don't bother. If it's a voice-over I give it at least a preliminary viewing. The point of course is that it costs so much to film some git and his entourage traipsing around that the material is certain not only to be utterly orthodox but 'accessible' ie dumbed-down for a mass (even by BBC-4 standards) audience.

A voice-over programme is not only cheap but it may actually be bought-in which occasionally means some foreign light shafts the British telly gloom.
Mick Harper

Postby hvered » 2:44 pm

Travelling around Britain is or can be most fulfilling. I've thoroughly enjoyed The Green Road Into The Trees by Hugh Thomson, who's managed to write the only (modern) walking book that's readable to the very end.

Once the end is reached it's also worth reading the list of people/institutions potentially offended in the preceding pages.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 12:55 pm

Mick Harper wrote: Rupe was a fan of my The History of Britain Revealed but didn't respond when I sent him a copy of The Megalithc Empire.

Write a book on Quantum Biology then.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 5:10 pm

Boreades wrote:Write a book on Quantum Biology then.

That'd be the surest way for Mick to lose his potential fan! Judging by reactions to TME people are almost guaranteed to be antagonistic if their research, often a lifetime's work, is challenged.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 5:37 pm

hvered wrote:
Boreades wrote:Write a book on Quantum Biology then.

That'd be the surest way for Mick to lose his potential fan! Judging by reactions to TME people are almost guaranteed to be antagonistic if their research, often a lifetime's work, is challenged.

Au contraire mon ami! :-)

While orthodox biologists were busy trying to trash Rupert's ideas on Morphic Resonance, it was the late great David Bohm (quantum physicist) who suggested that Sheldrake's hypothesis was in keeping with his own quantum ideas on implicate and explicate order, and his work on the Holonomic Theory.

Rupert Sheldrake loves breakthrough sciences, and Quantum Biology is definitely one of those.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 8:11 pm

Maybe I didn't express myself properly, my fault. Sheldrake is comfortable with revisionist ideas about history and language since they don't impinge on his field. I've never been an -ist but perhaps a revisionist quantum physicist has more in common with a biologist than another physicist.
hvered

Postby spiral » 1:19 pm

Show me a man who has more than three books in his library and I will show you a man who has stopped thinking for himself.

That only leaves one choice left after ME and THOBR.

My recommendation would be the wonderful "Land of Lettuce Sweetapple" by Fowler and Blackstock.

This is essentially a labour of love from two local archaeologists, who have thoroughly investigated the landscape around the parishes of West Overton and Fyfield, close to Averbury.

It's full of colour slides, maps, aerial photographs, old folklore etc anything that either explains how the landscape is or was.

The first part is an investigation from prehistory onwards up to the time of Lettuce Sweetapple in the 1800s. Their research lasted 40 years, so you see "orthodox theories" come and go as fashions change, all the time they learn more and more.

Finally they let their imagination run riot over what has happened since prehistory. This section is totally bonkers. Full credit to the authors for finally rejecting orthodoxy and putting their names to such lunacy, but it really was a bit of a waste after all the hard spadework.

It covers lots of topics on this site.

If you want to know more about the area round Averbury it is a truly brilliant reference work.

Spiral gives it a 5******.
spiral

Postby Boreades » 1:56 pm

spiral wrote:Show me a man who has more than three books in his library and I will show you a man who has stopped thinking for himself.

Gosh, that's me stuffed then!
I do think, sometimes. I just have to get my wife's permission first.

spiral wrote: Finally they let their imagination run riot over what has happened since prehistory. This section is totally bonkers. Full credit to the authors for finally rejecting orthodoxy and putting their names to such lunacy, but it really was a bit of a waste after all the hard spadework. ... Spiral gives it a 5******.

Now, that's just teasing!

But - "Lettice Sweetapple" - what a gorgeous West Country name!
Boreades

PreviousNext

Return to Index