Every forum needs a Humour Section...

Current topics

Re: Every forum needs a Humour Section...

Postby Boreades » 9:08 am

Breaking news, occupational therapy for megalithically-stressed folk.

Prehistoric Jewellery Making Workshops – Festival of British Archaeology 2014.

Come and make jewellery inspired by items in our new Prehistoric Wiltshire Galleries. Workshops will be run by Cathy Fairgrieve of Vines Designs, a local jewellery maker based in Royal Wootton Bassett:

Beads Workshop: make bead necklaces inspired by prehistoric jewellery in our new galleries. 10am – 12pm.
Wire workshop: make twisted bangles inspired by our Bronze Age gold and Celtic style jewellery. 1pm – 3pm.

Max. 10 per session. Minimum age 10yrs+, must be accompanied by an adult.
Cost: £15 per person, per workshop. Includes all materials and tea or coffee.

If they really are supplying all the materials to make a gold bracelet, I'd guess that £15 price is an absolute bargain.

Visit http://www.wiltshireheritage.org.uk/events/ to find out more.
Boreades

Postby macausland » 12:04 pm

There's an article on Bronze Age jewellery in the Daily Mail today.

Not as flashy as those gold thingys a bit more rustic I would say. Perfect for Bronze Age hippies chasing the Good Life.

Made of sea shells and found at Great Cornard near Sudbury they have been dated to about 4,000 years ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... hells.html
macausland

Postby hvered » 2:06 pm

Beads and things seem to have been a way of establishing friendly relations in not so distant colonial days. Perhaps Megalithic empire-builders thought the same.
hvered

Postby macausland » 4:39 pm

I wonder if they used them for counting as well?
macausland

Postby Mick Harper » 1:16 pm

It's interesting to find out that Macausland has downstairs staff that not only read The Daily Mail but are encouraged to bring things in it to his notice. Very democratic!
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 2:45 pm

Nah, it's Essex bling stuff, innit?
Boreades

Postby macausland » 5:10 pm

I like to encourage the plebs. But since the Sun went downmarket the butler is under the strictest of orders to kick the paper urchin off the property if he tries to deliver one.
macausland

Postby macausland » 4:49 pm

I've finally managed to snatch my copy of the Daily Mail from the clutches of the scullery maid. I'll have to have a word with Mrs Briggs about her behaviour.

Once again the good people at the Mail have ignored the woes of the modern world to bring us news of another seahenge thingy off the Norfolk coast. No doubt left by the retreating Greeks after the siege of Troy or Peterborough as I think it's known today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... aders.html

It's even got a photograph so it must be true.
macausland

Postby Boreades » 9:11 pm

I hope you've given that scullery maid a damned good thrashing for letting left-wing propaganda like that in the house. And given her instant dismissal, even if she is carrying your unborn illegitimate offspring?

Reluctantly though, I have to concede some useful information has perculated through the bog-paper.

They are called "sea-henges". But they wouldn't have been at sea level when they were built. For the henges in the Wiltshire area, all henges were built above a 100m contour. (See "Keeping your feet dry"). Would it have been any different on the way to Doggerland?

Do we now have a measure of how much sea-levels have risen in that area (or land-levels have dropped) since 2049 BC?
Boreades

Postby macausland » 10:09 am

The scullery maid has been at it again. How she can get to the paper before I arise at ten thirty beats me.

Anyway Borry old chap it would appear that she has been following the crows' progress since mention was made of Mr Harper's Stone the Crows theory of evolution and the global economy.

She has apparently started a world cup betting scam in the kitchen after reading about the clairvoyant crows highlighted in today's Daily Mail, the fount of all knowledge.

After watching the video I asked if I could put two and six on Argentina but I was thrown out of the kitchen.

Here are the twinkletoe two for your edification.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... d-Cup.html
macausland

PreviousNext

Return to Index