Every forum needs a Humour Section...

Current topics

Every forum needs a Humour Section...

Postby Boreades » 10:58 pm

... so in the spirit of our megalithic seafarers who travelled long distances in hope, how about this story to get us started?

It's the story of someone who sailed single-handed all the way from Turkey to Plymouth in a 16ft boat. Except the poor sod was stalking a women he met on hoilday, had no passport, got arrested, and has had his boat confiscated.

See This Is Plymouth

The boat is in Turnbuckle, near Mount Batten. Now if he'd only had some decent trade goods and said he'd come to swap it for tin and copper...
Boreades

Re: Every forum needs a Humour Section...

Postby Rocky » 11:49 am

Ahoy there, I think this section is a great boon but have you noticed that megalith-enthusiasts don't seem to have a sense of humour?

Do sailors who must be very aware they are dicing with death daily have a repertoire of 'in' jokes, on a par with the black humour of medics and the military?
Rocky

English Heritage has discovered a Dalek at Avebury

Postby Boreades » 4:32 pm

See http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/201 ... at-avebury

In a typically "English Heritage are experts" kind of way, they've managed to misread the orginal article from BBC Wiltshire: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-20078467

It's actually in Aldbourne, but still close to the Ridgeway Trail.
Boreades

Postby Nigel » 5:38 pm

Hi there, I'm Nigel.
T'was me that made the mistake. Very sorry, i got the message from elsewhere that the dalek was at Avebury and the tardis was at Aldbourne, goodness knows how. So yes I'm bad but yes but yes we have a sense of humour. BTW, we absolutely aren't English Heritage (how's that for a sense of humour!) we're a purely amateur group trying to do our bit for awareness and conservation of prehistoric sites.
Hope we can co-operate in some way.
Nigel

Postby Penny » 4:28 pm

I love the idea of a dalek at Avebury! The Ridgeway as an invasion route for trolls from deepest Sweden coming to try their luck in tin-rich Devon perhaps. Why didn't von Daniken think of that one?
Penny

Postby Boreades » 11:39 pm

Nigel wrote:Hi there, I'm Nigel.
T'was me that made the mistake. Very sorry, I got the message from elsewhere that the dalek was at Avebury and the tardis was at Aldbourne, goodness knows how. So yes I'm bad but yes but yes we have a sense of humour. BTW, we absolutely aren't English Heritage (how's that for a sense of humour!) we're a purely amateur group trying to do our bit for awareness and conservation of prehistoric sites.
Hope we can co-operate in some way.

Dear Nigel - please excuse my mistake as well. I should have realised you were not English Heritage, because you are taking action and doing something useful!
Boreades

Postby hvered » 12:48 am

I also like the thought of a dalek keeping an eyestalk on Avebury though it would probably be vandalised.

Humour is a funny business, some readers of TME (mis)construed the jokes as flippancy and got quite confused. 'It's a spoof!' I've just heard (for the nth time) courtesy of Northern Earth.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 9:23 pm

Mega-Masterchef

Who was watching tonight's Masterchef Final?

Who noticed one of the winners comes from near Plymouth, runs a pub in Sparkwell, and was pictured with Burgh Island in the background?

Of course I knew the connection from the start, as our megalithic maritime traders would have been bringing exotic Middle Eastern herbs and spices to trade. Just what any great chef would want!

http://www.thetrebyarms.co.uk/

Just outside Tin Wood and Smuggler's Coppice.
Boreades

Postby Penny » 7:26 pm

I wonder if the purveyors of exotic herbs 'n' spices were required to pass a Brythonic test before disembarking on Burgh.
Penny

Postby Boreades » 9:35 pm

Penny wrote: I wonder if the purveyors of exotic herbs 'n' spices were required to pass a Brythonic test before disembarking on Burgh.

Did they smoke it first? Having lived in Torquay, I'm never surprised by what might be passing in or out of a south-coast harbour.
Boreades

Next

Return to Index