Every forum needs a Humour Section...

Current topics

Re: Every forum needs a Humour Section...

Postby hvered » 9:33 am

There's a place on the edge of the South Downs, St Roche's (or Rook's) Hill, nicknamed The Trundle overlooking the coast as far as Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight. I think it's more likely The Roundel or something similar and it might well have needed a black belt or SAS training to reach as it's right by the main north-south road from Chichester to Guildford.

Being the Downs there are of course a series of hills which look the same to anyone except locals but The Trundle had a chapel to St Roche on its highest point, in the middle of what used to be a Neolithic enclosure according to English Heritage. The chapel presumably replaced a menhir as per the usual pattern of hilltop churches. The hill was encircled, singled out (the nearest village here is Singleton) in pre-literate times, so perhaps humans have always been good at marking territory but have no innate sense of direction.
hvered

Postby hvered » 9:54 am

The Trundle is popular with Tesco shoppers because it's the best vantage point for Goodwood race course where patrons of Waitrose gather.

The modern equivalent of chapel or menhir is the radio mast

hvered

Postby spiral » 10:34 am

hvered wrote:The Trundle is popular with Tesco shoppers because it's the best vantage point for Goodwood race course where patrons of Waitrose gather.

Torarundell.

Folks never link hills dales and rivers. Cf Arundel.
spiral

Postby macausland » 11:33 am

'Supermarket snob'? Moi?

It's scary going to my local Morrison's without tempting fate with Tesco's.

When I go hunting and gathering I want to return to the cave fully laden without the risk of being attacked by jackals, hyenas and other scavengers.

I like the Morrison's trolleys with their attachment for fitting knife blades to the wheels. Very handy for battling the tattooed ones.

As for t'owd t'Arundell how about den, dene. Hilly, low and watery.
macausland

Postby Boreades » 7:06 pm

spiral wrote: Boro pretends to shop at Farmers markets, but is Asda.

Oh dear, Asda is a bit too up-market for the likes of us 'umble country folk, 'ere in deepest East Wiltshire.

M'Lady Boreades didn't get where she is today without being known as the Rotweiler of Purchasing. See the £100M p/a budget and food portions costed to three decimal places of a penny. On her good authority, we're shopping at Aldi. We're told they have the same meat supplier as M&S. (Sshhhh, trade secret)
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 7:17 pm

Although, if pressed, I will confess that we do sometimes get desperate and resort to M&S take-away. But that's when we're victualling for our yacht. It leaves more space for the wine. I didn't get where I am today without making sure every voyage of The Spirit of Boreades was awash to the gunnels with fermented beverages. You can never be too careful with the state of the water on board boat.
Boreades

Postby spiral » 6:55 am

Boreades wrote:M'Lady Boreades didn't get where she is today without being known as the Rotweiler of Purchasing.

Boreades wrote:I didn't get where I am today without making sure every voyage of The Spirit of Boreades was awash to the gunnels with fermented beverages.

Clearly you and Ms Boro had one exotic ice (Sunshine Dessert) too many last night.......
spiral

Postby Boreades » 7:59 am

I didn't get where I am today selling ice creams tasting of bookends, pumice stone and West Germany!
Boreades

Postby macausland » 11:33 am

Where are you today Borry? Lidl or Aldi?
macausland

Postby Boreades » 7:16 pm

macausland wrote:Where are you today Borry? Lidl or Aldi?

Today, Mac, I'm in pecunious, after exhausting the Chateaux Boreades Strategic Reserves and Hedge Funds. 'Tis the season to join the heaving sweating masses fighting their way through the checkouts, carrying bursting carrier bags of heart-stopping excess. Or so M'Lady tells me.
Boreades

PreviousNext

Return to Index