Going Round in Circles

Current topics

Re: Going Round in Circles

Postby Boreades » 10:12 pm

hvered wrote:At the coast of Brittany the Burgh - Castro line passes L'île Callot, a tidal island that's accessible at low tide via a sandy causeway called La Passe aux Moutons. It's just west of Roscoff, the modern terminal for the ferry going to Plymouth.

Callot according to my dictionary means a block of unhewn stone from a quarry.

I'm told here that "In the year 513, Murmaczon laid the first stone of the chapel: it was then that the Britons called it the island Enez-Itron-Varia-ar Galloud (Our Lady of All Power)."

Sound suspiciously like another Megalithic Magdeline?
Boreades

Postby hvered » 10:06 am

Sailors prayed to Mary, the Holy Mother, and there are many Mary chapels associated with the sea not 'Megalithic' in themselves but presumably built on pre-existing Megalithic sites.

Interestingly there's a chapel dedicated to St Mary of the Sands at Fisterra, the 'end of the earth' where pilgrims to Compostela are supposed to end up. The islet at the end of the route doesn't look at all natural. It's called Seoane Mount, officially the highest mount in the municipality of A Coruňa.

Furthermore there's a sandy cove called Corbeiro (or Corbero i.e. 'crow') beach, literally a godsend on this Costa da Morte (coast of death)

hvered

Postby Jools » 8:29 am

Boreades wrote: I'm told here that "In the year 513, Murmaczon laid the first stone of the chapel: it was then that the Britons called it the island Enez-Itron-Varia-ar Galloud (Our Lady of All Power)."

Callot was extensively quarried, particularly in the seventeenth century when its granite was used for local building projects. Presumably there was a demand for good stone long before then and having a 'chapel' or capo on site would be a sensible precaution. But just to make sure everything was above board as it were, why not have an all-powerful Lady i.e. the Megalithic hag on your side keeping a (supernatural) eye on the site?
Jools

Postby hvered » 8:32 am

This is interesting... deer are attracted to yew trees, which are notoriously poisonous to humans and most animals. The trees are often associated with high places and I'm wondering if yews were planted on hilltops for deer-related purposes.

Yew trees are often found in churchyards though generally the tree was there first. In standard tree mythology the yew represents eternity because it's notoriously long-lived (all trees live a long time, especially if coppiced) but perhaps the site rather than the tree is 'sacred', or exclusive.
hvered

Postby hvered » 5:02 pm

Boreades wrote:I'm told here that "In the year 513, Murmaczon laid the first stone of the chapel: it was then that the Britons called it the island Enez-Itron-Varia-ar Galloud (Our Lady of All Power)."

That's interesting because the 'tin meridian' from Burgh Island to Santander passes Magdalena Peninsula (at the entrance to Santander harbour).

hvered

Postby macausland » 6:05 pm

It's noticeable how the sands are around the peninsular while the peninsular itself is ideal for mooring boats. There's a pier in Cornwall that had problems with the harbour silting up until they built a circular end to it. Apparently that solved the problem.
macausland

Postby hvered » 8:57 am

That's extraordinary. When examining Megalithic unloading areas/depots they look like knobbly things at the end of a strand or causeway but we weren't sure why that pattern kept appearing. It would seem this projecting circular shape is entirely unnatural.
hvered

Postby macausland » 10:15 am

http://www.engineering-timelines.com/sc ... asp?id=916

Here's a link to the pier I referred to and a brief explanation of its history etc.

The South West Coastal Group gives a more detailed description of such structures.

http://www.southwestcoastalgroup.org.uk ... aters.html

And here's Wikipedia's contribution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakwater_(structure)

Perhaps places like St Michael's Mount and similar structures were designed for the same purpose. It could be that a natural offshore rock or island was linked to the mainland by a causeway with the resulting changes to the surrounding landscape due to natural causes.

If sea arches are artificial perhaps they were designed to let the excess water flow through to dissipate the energy built up by tidal action on the coast line. This could lessen the effects of erosion.
macausland

Postby Marko » 9:48 pm

It's interesting how often you find a church or chapel on these offshore rocks and islands, presumably on older beacon/lighthouse sites.

It is tempting to see the builders as possessors of a 'mystique', the ancient knowledge. But historically the sites and the lines existed before churches were erected. Even millennia later, new churches are still, apparently, being sited on ley lines but then so are quite mundane secular buildings. Has the land remained the same since the last ice age?
Marko

PreviousNext

Return to Index