Going Round in Circles

Current topics

Re: Going Round in Circles

Postby spiral » 7:03 pm

Troyes was the civitas of the The Tricasses These were (maybe) a Gallic tribe who lived along the Seine in what is now Champagne.

The name Tricasses comes from the element cass found in another name familiar to ME readers, namely the Cassiterides.

The prefix tri is "three".

By tre, pol and pen.......

So it's a trade centre.......

Just saying........
spiral

Postby Mick Harper » 11:55 am

Surely the more likely meaning of Tri is, as in the Trinovantes on the other side of the Channel ie Tri = Troy, nova = new ie New Troy. Of course whether Troyes is the old Troy or whether the old Troy is the Troy of Helen of Troy will depend on whether you think Paris is her husband or the capital of the Parissi just up the road from Troyes.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 12:13 pm

Mick Harper wrote:Surely the more likely meaning of Tri is, as in the Trinovantes on the other side of the Channel ie Tri = Troy, nova = new ie New Troy. Of course whether Troyes is the old Troy or whether the old Troy is the Troy of Helen of Troy will depend on whether you think Paris is her husband or the capital of the Parissi just up the road from Troyes.

Or the stories of the Parissi founding Kingston Upon Hull (or the other way round) are creation myths because Troy On Doggerland is too silly an idea?
Boreades

Postby macausland » 2:54 pm

Mr Wilkens presented his ideas in a lecture given at Cambridge University in 1992.

In his talk he mentions other towns in France and Spain as well as river names which he identifies from the Homeric texts.

Historically Troy was known as Illium or variations on that name. Wikipedia claims that there was once an initial 'W' before the 'I'. Whatever that represents.

From Wilkens:

'As we all know, the Trojan War was started by Agamemnon, who was called 'the wide-ruling king', an epithet unjustified if he ruled over the small, northeastern corner of the Peloponnese, but most appropriate in Western Europe, where he ruled over a very vast territory indeed, stretching from the Gironde river in southwest France to the Rhine near Cologne in Germany. We can therefore consider Agamemnon as the first king of France in documented history, whose capital was Mycenae, since called Troyes, situated to the southeast of Paris on the Seine river. His kingdom was called Argos, a name preserved by the Argonne region in northern France. Here, river names have changed very little over time. For instance, the Orneia river in Homer is now the Orne. The same is true for many towns, such as Cleonae, now Cléon and Gonoesse, now Gonesse, both situated near the Seine. But other names changed beyond recognition, such as Corinth, which became Courances after the Middle Ages, when it was still called Corinthia. Similarly, Homer's Tyrins was still called Tirins in the Middle Ages, but has since changed its name to Thury-Harcourt, a little town in Normandy. And Agamemnon's capital Mycenae was apparently renamed Troyes after his victory in the Trojan War, much like in our era the names of victorious battles are given to avenues, squares and buildings in our cities, such as Trafalgar Square or Waterloo Station.'

The whole article can be found here

http://phdamste.tripod.com/trojan.html
macausland

Postby hvered » 10:39 am

spiral wrote: By tre, pol and pen.......

So it's a trade centre.......

Just saying........

In TME a troy town is a killing place, a maze where birds are decoyed, netted, caught etc. Bit like latter-day grouse moors but less sporting.

A mazer is a cup for catching blood, a 'holy grail'.
hvered

Postby hvered » 9:59 am

spiral wrote: The name Tricasses comes from the element cass found in another name familiar to ME readers, namely the Cassiterides.

The prefix tri is "three".

Or cass as in chase (French chasse)?
hvered

Postby Boreades » 11:43 pm

Going round in circles seems the appropriate place to post this.

The Isle of Mann's curious three-legged logo may relate to its special location, as a hub of three circles that encompass Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England.

Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 11:55 pm

Most instructive but I wish people wouldn't obscure the accuracy of the connexions by covering them with bleedin' great i's. (What does the i stand for?). Interestingly, the only line that actually 'exists', the Michael Line, doesn't seem to fit.

PS On this subject, the capitals of England, Scotland and Wales form a Pythagorean triangle. (A map, please, Borry.)

PPS My brother is a director of Findhorn.
Mick Harper

Postby spiral » 8:00 am

By the time your ancients had exhausted their full range of Borovian circles, triangles, straight and (not so straight lines), they must have realised that Milton Keynes was really special as it was the only point in the UK not to be connected to a site of special significance. This discovery, that it was impossible to connect Milton Keynes, really spelled the end of Borovian geometry, and plunged Britain into the Dark Ages. It's good to see the advent of the New Borovians armed with their christmas trees and information symbols, but the Milton Keynes question remains unanswered.

I fear the facts are too stubborn to be reconciled within this retro methodology.
spiral

Postby spiral » 10:23 am

http://archive.archaeology.org/0811/abs ... urkey.html

A rather interesting piece on Turkey's stonehenge.....The stone circle supported a roof...much like our very own stonehenge...?
spiral

PreviousNext

Return to Index