Going Round in Circles

Current topics

Re: Going Round in Circles

Postby Boreades » 11:43 pm

Were the likes of Elijah, Elisha, Moses, Aaron, and Honi all Egyptian Lector priests in Israel?

The most respected users of magic were the Lector priests, who could read the ancient books of magic kept in temple and palace libraries. In popular stories such men were credited with the power to bring wax animals to life, or roll back the waters of a lake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/eg ... c_01.shtml

The term "lector priest" is usually used to translate the Egyptian title, ẖry-ḥb.t, which literally means "the carrier of the book of ritual".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lector_priest

Nowadays, the only Lector I know of is Hannibal Lector.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 9:19 pm

Lots of stone circles on Dartmoor.
As catalogued by TME.
But why there?

Boreades

Postby hvered » 11:12 am

St Rombald or Rumbold came up, on Facebook oddly enough, in connection with a well in Astrop, Buckinghamshire. He is associated with the Belgian city of Mechelen which named him as its patron saint.

A straight line (on Google Earth) between Astrop and Mechelen throws up some interesting links en route as is always the case, including Bruges or Brugge, where the so-called Bruges boat was discovered while digging a canal. Experts compared it to the Blackfriars boat which used to be described as Romano-British. Now it's been back-dated and compared to similar Veneti ships. Although Bruges is of course no longer on the coast, presumably, as per the present ferry route between Zeebrugge and Hull, the main connection was straight across the North Sea, to the end of the Icknield Way/Michael Line and beyond.
hvered

Postby TisILeclerc » 12:13 pm

borry

'But Honi's party trick with rain isn't the only mention of the priests from stone circles with power over water.'

And then there's your mate Moses who could get water from rocks. Although for getting the magic wrong he was prevented from getting to the Promised Land.

http://biblehub.com/kjv/exodus/17.htm

' ... the people did chide with Moses, and said, Give us water that we may drink. And Moses said unto them, Why chide ye with me? wherefore do ye tempt the LORD? 3And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst? 4And Moses cried unto the LORD, saying, What shall I do unto this people? they be almost ready to stone me. 5And the LORD said unto Moses, Go on before the people, and take with thee of the elders of Israel; and thy rod, wherewith thou smotest the river, take in thine hand, and go. 6Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. 7And he called the name of the place Massah, and Meribah, because of the chiding of the children of Israel, and because they tempted the LORD, saying, Is the LORD among us, or not?'

http://christianity.stackexchange.com/q ... in-the-des

'Numbers 20:8-12 ESV
“Take the staff, and assemble the congregation, you and Aaron your brother, and tell the rock before their eyes to yield its water. So you shall bring water out of the rock for them and give drink to the congregation and their cattle.” 9 And Moses took the staff from before the Lord, as he commanded him. 10 Then Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly together before the rock, and he said to them, “Hear now, you rebels: shall we bring water for you out of this rock?” 11 And Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock with his staff twice, and water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock. 12 And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not believe in me, to uphold me as holy in the eyes of the people of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them.” '

Rather like Mickey Mouse and the water buckets and sweeping brushes. Oh and the magician who wasn't amused.

I wouldn't have thought there was much problem over getting water in Britain though.
TisILeclerc

Postby hvered » 3:26 pm

Yes, but the quality rather than quantity of water is more pertinent. The well at Astrop contained salts and minerals and, whether or not the springs were chalybeate, the water was thought to be medicinal.

The town was a spa when such things were fashionable though presumably not a very successful venture since it got closed down in 1786 according to this site http://www.kingssutton.net/Astrop_Spa.html but the well seems to have remained popular.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 1:11 pm

hvered wrote:... including Bruges or Brugge, where the so-called Bruges boat was discovered while digging a canal. Experts compared it to the Blackfriars boat which used to be described as Romano-British. Now it's been back-dated and compared to similar Veneti ships. Although Bruges is of course no longer on the coast,...

It looks likely that the Blackfriars boat was built somewhere like Lympne, which is also no longer on the coast.

http://qap2.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi ... 0773.x/pdf
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 8:09 am

TisILeclerc wrote:And then there's your mate Moses who could get water from rocks. Although for getting the magic wrong he was prevented from getting to the Promised Land..

There's lots of theological discussion on t'interweb about what exactly did Moses get wrong, especially as he was told to hit the rock the previous time.

Exodus 17:6 ESV
Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb, and you shall strike the rock, and water shall come out of it, and the people will drink.” And Moses did so, in the sight of the elders of Israel.
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 9:21 am

borry

'There's lots of theological discussion on t'interweb about what exactly did Moses get wrong, especially as he was told to hit the rock the previous time.'

Perhaps it's the first known case of fracking? And the green lobby had him expelled from the tribe.

Although he did have a thing about stones and rocks. Why bother with paper or parchment when you can carve your orders in a flat lump of rock?

And then there's the stone inside the Ark of the Covenant.

And he was a bit of a water baby as well. Found floating in the bullrushes. Well, beats the gooseberry bush. Look at what I found daddy when I was out walking. Then there's the Red Sea Incident. Very harmful for the environment I would say. And then fracking for water.

He had a very short temper as well. Forever smiting and smoting his own people if they stepped out of line. And why did they insist on worshipping snakes and golden calves? And then not doing the word of God. I mean that's going a bit too far I would say.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 11:55 am

TisILeclerc wrote:He had a very short temper as well. Forever smiting and smoting ...

Clearly, and from a young age as well.

Exodus 2:11-12 :
One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. Looking this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand.

TisILeclerc wrote:Found floating in the bullrushes.

Clearly a lesson that one should be careful what one finds floating in the bullrushes. Especially nowadays, when reed beds are used as filtration units, downstream of effluent processing plants.
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 1:15 pm

I wonder who was the witness to him looking about and then killing the Egyptian.

Couldn't be the Hebrew as he would have made a personal statement.

It couldn't be Moses as he would have made a personal statement.

It could have been God but then he would have chided Moses for one reason or other. Which is what He always does as he knows everything.

I think it's a three pipe problem for Sherlock.
TisILeclerc

PreviousNext

Return to Index