Going Round in Circles

Current topics

Re: Going Round in Circles

Postby Boreades » 2:07 pm

The game's afoot!...

Exodus 2:13-14

The next day he went out and saw two Hebrews fighting. He asked the one in the wrong, "Why are you hitting your fellow Hebrew?" The man said, "Who made you ruler and judge over us? Are you thinking of killing me as you killed the Egyptian?" Then Moses was afraid and thought, "What I did must have become known."

No shit Sherlock?
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 2:21 pm

Then Moses did say: 'Let's getta hell aouta here'. He tipped his ten gallon hat over his eyes, chewed on his cheroot, scowled and then said to the Children of Israel 'Follow me and I'll take you to another place, honest, I promise.'

And so it came to pass. As the holy man sang 'Ooh ooh aaah' from the top of the pyramid and the twangy lyre did twang the twangy bit to great effect the Children of Israel sang 'Valderee, valderee, valder aha aha aha we're not coming back.'

And they didn't.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 2:41 pm

Was "Home on the Range" one of their songs as well?

Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam,
Where the deer and the antelope play,
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word,
And the skies are not cloudy all day.

Verse four isn't included in "polically correct" versions anymore. I think you can see why....

The Red man was pressed from this part of the west,
He's likely no more to return,
To the banks of the Red River where seldom if ever
Their flickering campfires burn.

But it has the "correct" biblical tone of smiting and smoting one's enemies to extinction. Moses would approve, I think.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 2:58 pm

We missed a bit..

Exodus 2:15 etc

When Pharaoh heard of this, he tried to kill Moses, but Moses fled from Pharaoh and went to live in Midian, where he sat down by a well. Now a priest of Midian had seven daughters, and they came to draw water and fill the troughs to water their father's flock. Some shepherds came along and drove them away, but Moses got up and came to their rescue and watered their flock. When the girls returned to Reuel their father, he asked them, "Why have you returned so early today?" They answered, "An Egyptian rescued us from the shepherds. He even drew water for us and watered the flock." "And where is he?" Reuel asked his daughters. "Why did you leave him? Invite him to have something to eat."
Moses agreed to stay with the man, who gave his daughter Zipporah to Moses in marriage.

As quick as a flash, the Bulrush Kid is shacked-up and shagging the sheep shepherdess.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 3:03 pm

Strange how often we're told key characters in the Bible Stories are just shepherds. (Nothing to see here, move along please). While they just happen to have a few hobbies, like being Priests or Egyptian Royal Councillors as well.

Beginning with the hint that Jethro was a priest, some scholars have credited the Midianites with introducing the god YHWH to the Hebrews.... Jethro was one of Pharaoh's counselors. According to one account, he – together with Amalek – "gave the evil counsel" (to throw the male Israelite children into the river) to Pharaoh, but later repented (Ex. R. 27:6). According to another tradition, his fellow counselors were Balaam and Job. Balaam advocated the destruction of the children, Job remained silent, and Jethro fled to Midian (Sanh. 106a).

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/js ... ethro.html
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 8:40 pm

Sounds like a couple of coppers cooking the books.

Weren't the Bravo Two Zero lot sussed by a shepherd. See how I used street talk there?

It's good to know however that Moses has been identified as an Egyptian. I think that explains a lot.

And it's rather strange for a slave owner to tell his slaves to go.

Wage slaves can get sacked at any time but real slaves are a different problem.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 9:57 pm

If you're trying to start a new religion, it helps to have a captive (sic) audience that shows some gratitude.

What's the collective noun for shepherds?
A lot of crooks?
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 10:17 pm

TisILeclerc wrote:Weren't the Bravo Two Zero lot sussed by a shepherd.

Indeed they were. Some friends in the know recommend "The Real Bravo Two Zero" as a good account of what happened. The BTZ team were given "intelligence" briefings that were so poor our grandmothers could have done better by looking at tourist guides and Google Earth. Instead of finding secure locations on high ground they were bumbling around on flat ground until they bumped into local shepherds, at which point everybody panicked and scarpered.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 11:23 pm

"Shepherds" might also be an alias for "watchers". In an "as above so below" manner, watching over the flock of stars/sheep. Just as Jethro was a shepherd/priest, there may also have been shepherd/watcher/astronomers. Like the shepherds that we are told were (for some strange reason) the first to be visited by the Angels/Messengers to announce the arrival of Jesus.
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 6:17 am

Watchers on the high ground, like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buachaille_Etive_M%C3%B2r

Or this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buachaille_Etive_Beag

Buachaille Etive Mor and Beag (Buachaille Eite Mhor/Bheag)

The Great Herdsman and the Little Herdsman of Glen Coe. They could be good look out points. A bit too far from Iraq mind. And not only watchers but also from what I believe hiders as well. Where they used to hide the rustled cattle.
TisILeclerc

PreviousNext

Return to Index