Megalithic Calendar

Current topics

Re: Megalithic Calendar

Postby TisILeclerc » 10:48 pm

'Except if the Earth stops spinning it'll all go to our heads. Or something like that, according to this?
Where the oceans go if the earth's spin is reduced or stops.
http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0610/nospin.html '

In other words we would have all the water where the ice age was all that time ago?

There have been records in the past where the sun has been said to have stopped in the sky. Could that have been something similar? It's mentioned in the Bible and the Chinese mention it as well.

Supposing it happens on a regular basis, perhaps due to magnetic reversal or something? I think I mentioned somewhere else about a book I once read which reckoned that the Scottish glens were formed by water not ice because glaciers don't do that sort of thing due to the heat at the bottom of the ice which produces water which helps the ice to slide without causing too much damage to the ground.

Anyway back to something more serious. The Bletherskite site is a bit inaccurate. July is An t-Iuchar not 'Luchar' as he has it. He also gets Foghar wrong. It would be well to cross check with Dwelly for proper translations. Otherwise he is accurate. I would say that Samhradh is really just the same word as Summer, it's more or less the same pronunciation if a bit west countryish.

As for the fake lords and ladies mum's the word. I knew someone who bought a doctorate from an American 'academic' site. He said it was very useful for his driving licence when being stopped by the police. He explains how he is in a hurry to visit an elderly patient etc.

Be careful the scullery maid doesn't find out or she'll be off with your copy of the Daily Mail every morning and there's nothing you can do about it.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 12:06 am

TisILeclerc wrote:Anyway back to something more serious. The Bletherskite site is a bit inaccurate. July is An t-Iuchar not 'Luchar' as he has it. He also gets Foghar wrong. It would be well to cross check with Dwelly for proper translations. Otherwise he is accurate. I would say that Samhradh is really just the same word as Summer, it's more or less the same pronunciation if a bit west countryish.

That's a bit reassuring, but as it stands, the names of the months in Gaelic and Gaulic have liitle in common, which isn't very reassuring. "Lost in translation" springs to mind as the case for the defence.

TisILeclerc wrote:Be careful the scullery maid doesn't find out or she'll be off with your copy of the Daily Mail every morning and there's nothing you can do about it.

Daily Mail? Do you let your wife and servants read things like that?
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 9:01 am

'Daily Mail? Do you let your wife and servants read things like that?'

Certainly not. It's just that they get up before me and get the papers while I'm still having my morning brandy in bed.

As for the map of when the earth stood still. It shows not only the water in the north following the extent of the last ice age but it also shows plenty of land between Africa and South America to the west and to the east land linking India, Asia and across the Pacific to South America again.

I seem to remember you mentioning the connection between the continents in another post. Perhaps this is how it was rather than continents drifting apart as we are usually told?
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 3:54 pm

Yes, all that land in green along the equator would certainly fit the bill as the connection between the continents. No doubt migration of people and animals would have been a lot easier, and trade by boat would have been much easier as a coastal activity instead of deep water and open seas.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 4:23 pm

The contra-case is interesting as well. i.e. if the world used to spin faster what would happen? e.g. 360 days in a year instead of 365.

Presumably the water would go the other way, to form more of a bulge at the equator, and much of the arctic and antarctic region would become drier?
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 9:46 pm

Some people claim that the year was 360 days long at one point. Which is why the Babylonians or whoever divided the circle into 360 degrees.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 9:40 pm

TisILeclerc wrote:It would be well to cross check with Dwelly for proper translations.

Thanks, checked!
Ref: http://www.cairnwater.co.uk/gaelicdicti ... anguage=en
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 10:10 pm

This site examines the possibility that the year was in fact 360 days.

'As a result of modern day astronomical observations it is well established that the current earth year is about 365.2421897 days in length. This fact of the modern age noted however, from the study of many civilisations from the distant past, it has come to light that there was once a widely held belief that in some very remote age, the earth possessed a yearly orbit of precisely 360 days. Indeed, many such past cultures widely separated from one another actively established calendar systems based upon a 360-day year, including the ancient Egyptians, the Maya, and the Babylonians to name but a few. '

http://www.ancient-world-mysteries.com/ ... -year.html
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 11:21 am

Your roving reporter is returning empty-handed with a report of abject failure. The spadework to make a tabulation of the names of the months has (so far) proved a dead end. Or should I say an empty hole? I fear I will have to give up on that for now, shove it to one side, and hope for some serendipity while I try and get closer to my original quest.

This is Boreades, Channel TME news, lost somewhere in deepest East Wiltshire, but heading towards Qumran in search of enlightenment.

As a sneak preview of the next installment, the actions of the Romans round there and in Anglesey seem to be more than an genocidal coincidence.
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 12:09 pm

Here's a couple of sites that talk about month names. They even mention the names before they were Romaised or Dun Roman as we say in the trade.

http://wordinfo.info/unit/3798/ip:1/il:C

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t5896.htm
TisILeclerc

PreviousNext

Return to Index