Marthering Marden

Current topics

Re: Marthering Marden

Postby Mick Harper » 6:00 pm

I think you've missed the point. Even archaeos would spot that not only are they finding only large animals' bones but only the larger bones of these larger animals. Not that I can imagine any kind of soil acidity that would operate with this nice distinction over three thousand years.

But of course on a wider point, the vast array of acid and alkaline soils on offer in all parts of Britain would surely clear the matter up. The finding of particular pig quarter bones rather supports this thesis. Unless perhaps you are suggesting that the acid destroyed all pig bones except these ones, hence leading them to their incorrect deduction.

How I hate defending archaeologists.
Mick Harper

Re: Marthering Marden

Postby Boreades » 6:04 pm

Re that other curiosity ...

the majority of the pig bones were from just one quarter of the animal - the right forequarter

... I have consulted M'Lady Boreades (a highly-skilled veteran of the Contract Catering industry).

Nowadays we regard the pork hindquarter as the prime cut, as it has more meat. The forequarter tends to have less meat and a higher % of fat. But that makes it a sweeter cut of meat when cooked for those that still like a full-fat diet.

Why just the right forequarter? My suggestion is just a guess, based on packaging of the cured meat for transport. It would be easier to pack like-shaped objects together. Somewhere else got the left forequarter batch.
Boreades

Previous

Return to Index