Who Built The Stones?

Current topics

Re: Who Built The Stones?

Postby hvered » 4:14 pm

A reminder of tidal highs and lows is very apposite. Looking at the Pembrokeshire peninsula for example, would it not be a lot easier to use a land route between Caldey Island and Poppit Sands, directly south and north, rather than sail round the peninsula?

There's a very similar situation on the Cornish peninsula where two causewayed tidal islands, St Ives and Mont St-Michel, are also directly aligned north-south. Not such a dramatic tide as in the Bristol Channel but it's tricky sailing even today.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 8:04 pm

Mick Harper wrote:An excellent article in the latest q-Mag http://www.q-mag.org/pytheas-megaliths- ... tides.html

Sample paragraph

Thomas noticed that the great megalithic observatories were all implanted in zones of strong tides. Carnac commands over the Atlantic Coast, and particularly over the difficult entrance to this interior sea which is the Gulf of Morbihan. The Great Menhir of Locqmariaquer (23m high, 347t, the height of the obelisk at Place de la Concorde, but 117t heavier!) surely served as a landmark to seamen, just as today the churchsteeple of Larmor-Baden. As for the “astronomic computer” of Stonehenge, it is situated halfway between Bristol and Southampton, the two points on Earth which (along with the Bay of Fundy in Canada) experience the strongest tides.

The good point is in danger of being lost in trivial mistakes.

The two points on Earth which (along with the Bay of Fundy in Canada) experience the strongest tides?
Bristol, yes. Southampton not really. Try Guernsey and Jersey!

Annoying. Mick should have spotted the flaw in this immediately. Besides, haven't we've mentioned this kind of material before? In connection with the Druidic Schools of Navigation, with special attention to the state of the tides. Celtic Saints etc.

By the way, The Great Menhir of Locqmariaquer is on the TME map.
https://tme.cartodb.com/viz/e5421e30-2c ... 4b5057/map
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 10:23 pm

hvered wrote:A reminder of tidal highs and lows is very apposite. Looking at the Pembrokeshire peninsula for example, would it not be a lot easier to use a land route between Caldey Island and Poppit Sands, directly south and north, rather than sail round the peninsula?

There's a very similar situation on the Cornish peninsula where two causewayed tidal islands, St Ives and Mont St-Michel, are also directly aligned north-south. Not such a dramatic tide as in the Bristol Channel but it's tricky sailing even today.

Depends what we're moving. We're told the French Tironensians had their own ship(s) trading as far as Scotland. But they weren't the only ones on the move were they?

But as the author of "The Great Architects of Tiron" is also an author on Templar matters, and both existed in the same era, should we suppose they really are separate organisations?
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 8:20 am

Annoying. Mick should have spotted the flaw in this immediately.

Of course I did. I am so miffed I refuse to comment further.

PS I am not being informed of posts except days later and then all in a rush. Is anybody else having this difficulty?
Mick Harper

Postby hvered » 2:16 pm

The Great Menhir of Locqmariaquer...

Wiki says loc in Breton means hermitage. Wikipédia (Fr) says lok means lieu saint i.e. holy place. A loch/lac/lake could well be deemed 'holy' if it's associated with a church or monastery but a hermitage will always be at or near a trading hub, meeting/market place.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 5:30 pm

Mick Harper wrote:PS I am not being informed of posts except days later and then all in a rush. Is anybody else having this difficulty?

That's grimly reassuring. I thought you had put me on the "ignore" list. I've not been getting any alerts either.
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 6:17 pm

I wonder if, as a complete ignoramus, but a master of disguise could ask a few silly questions that may be totally irrelevant?

It appears that everyone in the world wants to come to Britain. The Phonoecians, Romans, Irish, Normans, Vikings, Spanish, Dutch and so on.

Why? What did this country from the south of England and Wales to the north of Scotland have?

It seems to be not just a question of a load of freebooters but organised societies and in the case of some nations with national armies.

The Romans came to plunder and they did it well. At least we can understand them. But then the Irish come rowing across the Irish sea singing songs and telling the natives that they'd better convert if they know what's good for them. And the natives do. Then the Romans come back and battle it out with the Irish. The Romans win and all's well, apart from a few pesky heretics who seem to be home grown.

Now we have organised groups of self made religious orders from France desperate to get here and set up shop. This last lot seem to have believed in working for a living. Couldn't they have done that in France?

A lot of it all seems to boil down to sailors having to build ocean going vessels and fighting against strong tides just to land their ships. And they've got to find out where and how to do it. Which involves building light houses and accommodation for the keepers and all the food and everything that goes with it.

Someone's got to do the weather prediction, the astronomy, building priories and so on as well as writing the holy books. And to do all of that you need a massive workforce and infrastructure just to keep it all ticking over.

On top of that it appears that they were all making up myths about how they'd always been there or had followed the teachings of some unknown saint or other just to justify their being here. Or there. Or wherever they landed up. And the kings of England, Scotland, Wales etc don't bat an eyelid.

Och aye Francois you can have all that land over there. Nae problem son.

What was going on? At least the Norman barons kept it simple. You, eeengleesh peasant work. Ah'm 'urngry an' ah want ma deener now tout sweet. But the hoodies? I mean to say they really are creepy.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 7:44 pm

These are good questions that may be totally relevant.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 9:23 pm

But (shocking as it might be to TME inmates, who might like to look away now) these questions are in real danger of being topical to current events e.g. the Brexit Campaign

According to the BBC, re migration to the UK:
in calculating the cost of Britain leaving the EU in yesterday's report, the Treasury assumes a level still well in excess of that - of 185,000 per year in 2021 and beyond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36082472

Let's hope a fair % of those are Poles, because they do a good job of building stones and things.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 3:01 pm

Dear Tissie
Your summation is indeed masterful. However a lot of this is currently coming out in the wash over on the AEL site including the serialisation of my new book (one-third of a book) which addresses this very subject -- whatever subject that turns out to be. You don't seem to read/contribute over there (unless under a different name) so it is difficult to keep bobbing back and forth. Especially with the current problems of notification (which we are trying to deal with but no guarantees).
Mick Harper

PreviousNext

Return to Index