Who Built The Stones?

Current topics

Re: Who Built The Stones?

Postby Boreades » 6:51 pm

Mick Harper wrote:
On prime real estate for the elite astronomer priests, away from the hoi polloi.

Why does everybody keep repeating this? The hoi polloi can wander over and bother them twice a day, every day, half the day.

Even the elite astronomer priests would have needed some zero-hours, minimum wage types to do the cleaning. Just make sure they go home as soon as they've finished. And count the silver candlesticks before they leave!
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 6:53 pm

Ah merde, drink, drink

Now there's a point. Stonehenge was designed by a group of drunken megalomaniac megalithics with mega time on their hands.

Ho ho, this'll give 'em something to think about over on Rugged island. They'll never guess what it is.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 8:56 pm

Mick Harper wrote: Have you ever been to a tidal island? They're crap holes.

Perhaps Mick is getting amnesia?

Here's some we prepared earlier:

Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 9:20 pm

Very des res. I'd live there.

Which means I suppose that the hermits, monks, druids, sailors, surveyors, tinsmiths or whoever it was were quite happy to be there. Or at least they recognised the importance of these sites.

So what was the importance? They certainly went to a lot of trouble over them.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 10:21 pm

Tresco Island is my favourite. We have fond memories of Fraggle Rock Cafe in the years BC (Before Children). M'Lady Boreades has some family connections. But then she says that about Guernsey as well, before her Grandmother moved to the Isle of Wight and gave up her rights to residency in a tax haven (eye-rolling disgust icon).
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 10:33 pm

Despite Mike's scorn for the idea, I still hold to the notion that the Celtic Saints communities were inherited from earlier "Old School" colleges and education centres, especially on islands as schools of navigation.

As for the original topic: Who Built The Stones?

Having thrashed all my local connections for pertinent info re the building of Avebury and Stonehenge, it's still all a mystery. But what of other sources? Like Newgrange? Coincidentally I have been discussing the very same topic with someone who does lecture tours of certain fraternal societies in the UK (that have a passing interest in stonework). I've discovered there is still a route into one of these training schools.

First, you have to become a fit member of a regularly organised society.

Second, you have to join the Societas Rosicruciana In Anglia. See https://www.sria.info/ - (
(This is strongly connected with the largely-forgotten origins of The Royal Society in the UK, which was originally very Rosicrucian and very Masonic, and a hotbed for a new generation of astronomer-priests.)

Serve your time there and keep you nose clean, and then as the third step, as a time-served member of SRIA, you may become eligible to join The Order of Eri.

According to the Encyclopedia Of Freemasonry

The legendary founder in 1695 B.C. of this organization comprising Freemasons only, was Eremon, King of Ulster, Ireland, and the Order is reputed to have ceased its military activities sometime about 1649 to 1659 A.D.

An ancient book Annals of the Four Masters of Ireland, tells of the Knights of the Collar of Eri as instituted by King Eamhuin and his eight princes, the chiefs of the armies of the four provinces of Ulster, Munster, Leinster, and Connaught. Headquarters were at the city of Armagh, where a palace and royal court existed until destroyed by fire in 332 A.D. The palace of the early kings of Ireland and the Great Hall of the Knights were then located at Tara in the County Meath, with a military hospital, named Bronbheagor or House of the Sorrowful Soldier, and a famous college, a noted seat of Celtic learning.

This ancient Order comprised knights and teachers, the Ollamhs, Brehons or judges, Crimtears or priest-astronomers, and Bards, poets and musicians. The modern ceremonies include the grades in order of Man-at-Arms, Esquire, and Knight, Knights Commanders, who are chosen by the Knights Grand Cross, and the latter selected by the Senior Grand Cross who represents the Sovereign, for whom an empty chair is placed at every Assembly. The latter is called the Faslairt, or Camp, and represents a green field. The General Assembly is termed the Foleith.

https://encyclopediaoffreemasonry.com/e ... -order-of/

Before I get more micturation from Mick, I'll point out that fires that destroy evidence are excellent cover stories for legends and creation myths. But the essence of the legend is that royal rulers and the priest-astronomers were in cahoots, which is my take on how the Celtic Saints had so much power (temporal and spiritual)

But mention of Tara should grab our attention, as it is related to Newgrange and of the same era.

The Hill of Tara (Irish: Cnoc na Teamhrach,[1] Teamhair or Teamhair na Rí), located near the River Boyne, is an archaeological complex that runs between Navan and Dunshaughlin in County Meath, Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_of_Tara
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 10:39 pm

Ollamhs, Brehons and Bards are easily found. The Crimtears or priest-astronomers, however, remain a little more elusive. More to follow.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 12:14 am

Despite Mike's scorn for the idea, I still hold to the notion that the Celtic Saints communities were inherited from earlier "Old School" colleges and education centres, especially on islands as schools of navigation.

I have never objected to the navigational school theory -- in fact I seem to remember I started it. But we are not dealing with 'islands', we are dealing with tidal islands. It is no use just posting up nice pics of hotels and whatnot on Burgh or Michael's Mount -- no one doubts you can do lovely things with tidal islands. But the fact nevertheless is that there are several dozen tidal islands around Britain and the vast majority of them appear to be useless for ordinary human exploitation. But, on the other hand, somebody thought it made sense to spend large sums on either constructing them or, at the very least, maintaining the causeway.

So we still need to know the reason. We need to know what tidal islands have that ordinary islands or ordinary headlands or ordinary anything do not have. Come on, get cracking. But try to be systematic.
Mick Harper

Postby Mick Harper » 12:20 am

Ollamhs, Brehons and Bards are easily found'

There is a Brehon Island just off Guernsey. Borry can tell us if these sailing instructions have any Megalithic significance.

About a mile off Platte Fougère you should be able to see the iron lattice tower of Roustel on a bearing of about 205º. You can then proceed down the Little Russel channel between Roustel, to port, and the green pillar of Platte (not to be confused with Platte Fougère), to starboard: the recommended procedure is to line up Roustel with the flat-topped Brehon fort on a bearing of 198º. From Platte it’s a straightforward run on to Castle Cornet, with the white lighthouse at the end of the breakwater in front of it, which guards the left hand side of the harbour.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 1:40 am

I wholeheartedly agree, a systematic approach is what we need.

But as I'm rapidly approaching the end of my perch (01:30 hours, sleep, perchance to dream), I'll just post a quick note while it's fresh in my memory and before I fall asleep.

Re Bréhon Tower on Brehon Rock

It says here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%A9hon_Tower
that:
During the tenure (1803-1813) of Lieutenant Governor General Sir John Doyle, there were plans to erect a guardhouse on Bréhon, but nothing came of these.[1] Doyle was responsible, however, for substantial fortification efforts elsewhere in Guernsey, including the construction of the Martello towers of Fort Grey, Fort Saumarez, and Fort Hommet.

Sir John Doyle is no bit-player. At that time, he was part of the Council of Grand Masters of the three United Grand Lodges of England, Scotland and Ireland, and on that council by right of being the Grand Master of Guernsey. Oh, and related to the Sinclairs as well, if my memory serves.

Does the Brehon Island have a history as place for arbitration, mediation and judicial matters? (like the Irish Brehon). Besides Brehon, are there more examples of irish lore cropping up in the Channel Islands?
Boreades

PreviousNext

Return to Index