New Views over Megalithia

Current topics

Re: New Views over Megalithia

Postby Mick Harper » 10:21 am

I would not advise dismissing Robert de Boron as a mere medieval story-teller. He laid down many of the markers by which we can (now) identify the Belinus Line which is the north-south equivalent of the east-west Michael Line.
Mick Harper

Postby macausland » 2:23 pm

Mick Harper

The Belinus line. I came across a site last year which realigns the Ptolemy map of Britain using a point somewhere near the Isle of Wight and a point around Durness at the northern tip of Scotland.

They used these two points as control markers and realigned the map so that Scotland was brought back into its normal position. I've tried looking for the site but haven't been able to find it so far.

I wonder if that line and the Belinus line have anything in common?
macausland

Postby Mick Harper » 3:19 pm

Sounds similar. The main expert on the Belinus Line is Gary Biltcliffe (http://www.belinusline.com/) who is one of my fellow-speakers at the Megalithomania Conference, so perhaps I will be able to report further then.
Mick Harper

Postby hvered » 5:09 pm

Ah, Gary Biltcliffe. I sent him a copy of TME and his response was that the book had gone in completely the wrong direction and its authors needed to do more research.

His remarks show he is wholly wedded to the orthodoxy of the Glastonbury crowd If this book is an attempt to change the prevailing view that megaliths are sites of religious worship or fertility rites then the authors have failed miserably.

Also he's a dowser.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 10:21 pm

Belinus - that sounds so close to Belenus (the Celtic god of light and fire, "The Shining One") - maybe they are the same?

From which we get Beltaine as well.
Boreades

Postby macausland » 6:46 am

Boreades

The online Dwelly dictionary has 'bel-ain': The circle of Bel or of the sun.

There's a question before the definition suggesting uncertainty.

That makes it sound like a season checker or astronomical observation.
macausland

Postby Boreades » 10:19 am

hvered wrote:If this book is an attempt to change the prevailing view that megaliths are sites of religious worship or fertility rites then the authors have failed miserably.
Also he's a dowser.

That would be the prevailing view among current-day believers in religious worship, fertility rites and dowsing. A closed circle of twisted logic that's hard to break.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 10:06 am

Yes, but to be fair the experts also tend to see everything as ritual or fuelled by some form of primitive worship. There are a few such as Sheila Macgregor and Juliet Clutton-Brock, she of the 'walking larder', who focus on everyday practical matters but their work does not seem to be referenced by either side.
hvered

Postby Boreades » 12:40 pm

hvered wrote:Yes, but to be fair the experts also tend to see everything as ritual or fuelled by some form of primitive worship. There are a few such as Sheila Macgregor and Juliet Clutton-Brock, she of the 'walking larder', who focus on everyday practical matters but their work does not seem to be referenced by either side.

Ah yes, those experts do love their high-status ritual cult objects. Why are Sheila Macgregor and Juliet Clutton-Brock ignored by them? Is it because they are too practical or evidence-based? Or is it the "not invented here" factor?

I'd like to read Juliet Clutton-Brock's A Natural History of Domesticated Mammals, it's only £200 new from Amazon UK. :-(

Fortunately it's also available online as a Google Book.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cgL- ... &q&f=false
Boreades

Postby macausland » 1:56 pm

It looks like she's updated the book. Anyway she's brought out a new title, ' Animals as Domesticates: A World View through History (Animal Turn) (Hardcover) ' which is on Amazon for between £18 plus postage and about £28. There's a Kindle edition which, for some reason, is more expensive than the book.
macausland

PreviousNext

Return to Index