New Views over Megalithia

Current topics

Re: New Views over Megalithia

Postby macausland » 10:34 am

In the 'Riddle of the Sands', at least in the film version, Carruthers takes Davies to task for his mispronunciation of the local German place names.

At one point he corrects his pronunciation of Nordeney by saying something like 'Nordeney, eye eye eye.'
macausland

Postby hvered » 6:23 pm

The Riddle of the Sands (this year's beach book, thanks macausland!) does have a fine word play on Böehme which Davies writes as Burmah. The seven islands/ seven channels off Friesland could be seen as the main characters. There's no equivalent off the East Anglian coast though the purported invasion point, around the Wash, is pretty strange e.g. Blakeney Point

There's also the so-called Scolt Head Island, an offshore barrier island just west of Wells-next-the-Sea.

It is accessible at low tide and seems to shift about according to wiki... The shingle and sand island appears to have originated from a former spit extending from the coast, and longshore drift means that it is slowly moving to the west and inshore.

But further on we're told It was originally thought that the island, believed to be 2–3 thousand years old, developed from an offshore shingle ridge, and had thus always been an island, but current thinking is that the island was originally a spit extending west from Holkham dunes. Support for this theory comes from boreholes and from radiocarbon dating of a shell to 837AD, that appeared to indicate the existence of saltmarshes behind the shingle barrier at that time. which is mightily confusing.
hvered

Postby macausland » 7:17 pm

Hvered.

Perhaps they were artificial salt marshes. Build a shingle water trap and when the tide goes out process the salt. They still do it in Brittany. The photograph from the air gives an idea of what it looks like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guérande
macausland

Postby Boreades » 9:20 pm

Aren't they all remnants of Doggerland?
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 9:33 pm

Come on, Borry, apply some logic. Since Doggerland extended for the whole of the British east coast, then this localised effect cannot possibly be caused by it -- unless you want to make some special plead. TME's explanation, that the Norfolk Broads system was designed to protect the Michael Line, fits the facts best.

This exchange suggests there might be another Michael Line on the other side of the North Sea.
Mick Harper

Postby macausland » 10:37 pm

Continue the Michael line from Hopton it seems to go through St Michael's Church in Flensburg on the Danish German border area, through Copenhagen and on to St Michael's Church in Tallin which was apparently was the church of a Swedish minority population. Perhaps Google should do a mapping service of the Michael line and all the rest?
macausland

Postby Mick Harper » 11:36 pm

I rather meant that the 'fens' of Riddle of the Sands Friesland might be there to guard another and quite different Michael Line. If you want to track the present Michael Line with the requisite accuracy I recommend you use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators or something similar. Perhaps you might report back how accurate your Michael sightings are. Though in any case just two would be, as sailors say, neat but not gaudy.
Mick Harper

Postby macausland » 6:53 am

Thanks for the link. I'll enjoy playing about with it.

I wonder if you have any ideas on the 'Catalan Atlas' of 1375 drawn up by Abraham Cresques? It shows central focal points in various areas from which lines radiate outwards. I imagine these lines were the grid upon which landmarks were 'pinned' but can't understand why the various focal points were chosen.

One of the lines appears to hit Land's End and continue in a north east direction towards a point north of the Thames where it carries on across the North Sea. Another line comes down from Ireland in a south easterly direction going through the Cornwall Devon area and on to France.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Atlas.jpeg
macausland

Postby macausland » 10:06 am

I'm still trying to work out how to deal with that site. I'm not a mathematician so it will take some time.

In the meantime I came across this site on which somebody has posted a video and the reasoning behind it with Avebury as a central point with radiating lines emanation from it. He extends it north east to the Baltic and south east to various sites in South America.

Perhaps you have already come across it? A bit 'consipiracy theory' in parts but I don't mind conspiracies, some of them are true as we eventually discover.

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthr ... Line/page2
macausland

Postby macausland » 10:22 am

The previous site led me to this one which should be extremely important for examining maps, ancient and modern.

David Rumsey has digitised world maps from various periods and combined them with gps and google earth etc to allow a virtual walk or fly around. The videos on youtube give his website details which are free for all to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYytmI2i1tE
macausland

PreviousNext

Return to Index