Pub Crawl

Current topics

Re: Pub Crawl

Postby macausland » 10:07 pm

Why are coins round?

I suppose if you take a small ball of metal and whack it with a hammer it will tend to flatten into a circular shape.

Besides which the Koine is a common linguistic currency. Perhaps currency is related to tidal currents if not currants which are also usually round.
macausland

Postby spiral » 8:52 am

hvered wrote:I wonder why coins are round and not square or rectangular or even spiky like, say, jacks? They can be spun more easily, which reminds me of dice and gambling...

The link is coin=counters.

In fact you deposit coins across a counter......

hvered wrote: Why not 'Mons' (Anglesey) or Mona as the Romans called it. Mons is said to mean unique, single, also 'mound' or small mount(ain).

Don't know........Amount...."to rise in number or quality (so as to reach)" ....makes me think of counting money. THe old word was "amounting".

I suppose you are also thinking of the Menai strait?

There were, of course, mines on Mona and Man......

Rather interestingly whilst the Romans were attacking Mona (according to orthodoxy) Boudica, queen of the coin producing Iceni, rebelled....

Suddenly you get coin hoards.....
spiral

Postby spiral » 9:46 am

hvered wrote: Could currency/ coinage be related to islands, rather conveniently placed along sea routes?

One of the other studies was showing a link to church bells......(pretty expensive)..... Bells toll.....tolling.

You can use bells/gongs for warnings, alarms, time keeping, tide signalling, stopping collisions in fog etc, that is why British boats had to have bells by law......but you have to finance this. The link is metal working.

Cormorants, if they work, would I suppose be cheaper....

Personally, I am going with bells, spires (sic) and signals.....if I hit the rocks after listening to a siren(sic) you can have a good laugh at poor old Spiral.....
spiral

Postby spiral » 10:56 am

macausland wrote:
I suppose if you take a small ball of metal and whack it with a hammer it will tend to flatten into a circular shape.

Besides which the Koine is a common linguistic currency. Perhaps currency is related to tidal currents if not currants which are also usually round.

If you take a BIG lump of metal and whack it.....you have invented a gong. (C for G) You just need a lot of metal and a big pool of water. Thanks Mac. I can use that.....Of course the gongs later became bells.
spiral

Postby macausland » 11:10 am

'C for G'.

The gaelic for bell or clock is 'clag'. Also 'clog'. The G is pronounced as a C or K.

Could you play with that one?
macausland

Postby spiral » 5:05 pm

macausland wrote: 'C for G'.

The gaelic for bell or clock is 'clag'. Also 'clog'. The G is pronounced as a C or K.

Could you play with that one?

It is telling me something.
spiral

Postby macausland » 11:57 am

Seromoned by bells?

Tell or told

'No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.'

No mention of crows though.
macausland

Postby Boreades » 1:40 pm

Coincidentally, I've just mentioned crows here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1908&p=3839#p3839

Clever crows outwitting humans.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 12:38 pm

There's a new(ish) field called archaeoacoustics, mainly focused on the Stonehenge bluestones which are thought to have given off a ringing sound, somewhat dimmed by the concrete blocks that were added in the '50's. The general thesis seems to be that people communicated over long distances by bashing the rocks.

Would tapping rocks and listening to the sounds they make be something that miners and prospectors would do?

Crows have been observed using stones as a sort of sling-shot, for unknown reasons though some say it's politically motivated
http://rt.com/news/crows-stone-cars-sverdlovsk-962/
hvered

Postby macausland » 12:49 pm

Cor, stone the crows. Hitchcock would be proud.

There's a song from Durham written by a miner about tapping.

'Jowl, jowl and listen lad, you'll hear the coal face working
There's many a marra missing lad, because he wouldn't listen lad.'
macausland

PreviousNext

Return to Index