Anglesey

Current topics

Anglesey

Postby Martin » 9:34 am

Anglesey means "island of the English" even though it's an island off the northwest coast of Wales. Simply asking, what's it doing where it is?
Martin

Re: Anglesey

Postby TelMiles » 9:37 am

Anglesey plays a large part in Druid history.
TelMiles

Postby TelMiles » 9:39 am

Was just reading that Anglesey was called Anglesey after Edwin of Northumbria invaded northern Wales.

Problem with that is two-fold in my opinion.

1. He didn't stay very long.
2. Would the Welsh name something after their enemies?

Were Saxon mercenaries stationed there? or some other explanation. Just always thought Anglesey was weird.
TelMiles

Postby Martin » 9:41 am

The Welsh call it Ynys Mon though it would be interesting to find out how long ago that was. (There's a chance it's a modern coinage.)
Martin

Postby Komorikid » 9:32 pm

It seems the Isle of the Angles has been rejected and the name is of Norse origin along with other places nearby.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/whatsinaname/sites/videoexplorer/pages/?jumpTo=anglesey
Paul M
Komorikid

Postby Stuart » 5:52 am

According to Wikipedia "The 'English' name is in fact derived from the Old Norse, meaning 'Ongull's Island'. The alternative "isle (ey) of the Angles" is discredited."

So, let me get this straight, a place called Anglesey has nothing to do with the Angles? yea right, me thinks an agenda has come into play.

It also says the Romans knew the island as Mona.
Stuart

Postby Penny » 6:02 am

Seems to be a Norse name, if "Öngull's Isle" is right.

Öngull in Old Norse means fish hook, i.e. "angled" as in bent or hooked. However, I've also read that it means strait.
Penny

Postby Mick Harper » 12:29 pm

Straight and angled. Make yer mind up (etymologists)!
Mick Harper

Postby hvered » 1:53 pm

Angles are measured in straight lines, 'bent or hooked' perhaps relative to a perpendicular. Jon Morris in his heavens' henge blog makes some interesting points about surveying from an island using a high point ('Mona'?).
hvered

Postby Boreades » 12:28 pm

A little bit of thread drift, but Anglesey was also a huge source of copper. Big enough for the Romans to want to invade and control, after they got rid of the remaining druids?
Boreades

Next

Return to Index