Pub Crawl

Current topics

Re: Pub Crawl

Postby spiral » 6:10 am

Oh dear. Stuck on the beach? Marooned by your memories? Confused by Coin?

Funny that. We know how to fight our way off a beach against a trusty Anglo Saxon shield wall. We just do what William (Will/Wish the helmet/crown) against Harold (Army commander) did at the battle of Hastings (hastily assembled forces)........we play our joker......we send our jester into battle.

But what if that was just a fiction? What if it's a whopper? Show me the evidence of a battle, either at Hastings or Battle, I will believe you....

You can't. So... cross my palm with silver. I will tell you "Didn't happen". I don't a need a crystal ball. William Coinquiered the Isle.

His man made New Forest was already in existence.....
spiral

Postby spiral » 7:35 am

So we head in land, from one of our multiple arrival points. We need to work out where we are. We need a better view....We travel in a direct line towards the high ground, as do the other traders. There is now a track from each arrival point towards the high ground. Spokes leading towards a wheel hub, dividing the ground between, into triangles.....
spiral

Postby Boreades » 12:34 pm

Spokes and triangles?
Like this?

Boreades

Postby spiral » 7:34 am

You head inland to Canterbury at the end of the Pilgrims Way. Canterbury is to the East what Onechester is the South. Same cause,same effect. You reach the high ground, you will soon be back in Hampshire, there are no major rivers to cross.

One Problem.....

"Coin Please"

You tender, your tender.....

"You having a laugh mate"? "I haven't seen one of those for ages" "We don't take shells we only take shillings" "why do you think there are so many mints in Kent, we are coin people" "you will have to give me some of your wares to sell."

You depart along the high road poorer but wiser......
spiral

Postby spiral » 7:45 am

Epilogue

You never reach Onechester.

Along the way you ditch your guide.

Who wants to know of battles that never happened, kings that never lived...?

Who wants to know of a man made Island next to a man made forest?

Who wants to know of a long forgotten road?

Before you reach your destination, you hear of a ancient stone circle, situated in the midst of a number of massive chalk ridges. The circle was never finished....

You can't think of it as a roundabout. So think of it as a whirlpool, it sucks folks in and spins them round to a new life.

It is a spiral of spinning destinations......
spiral

Postby hvered » 9:46 am

I wonder why coins are round and not square or rectangular or even spiky like, say, jacks? They can be spun more easily, which reminds me of dice and gambling...
hvered

Postby spiral » 7:47 pm

hvered wrote:I wonder why coins are round and not square or rectangular or even spiky like, say, jacks? They can be spun more easily, which reminds me of dice and gambling...

Interesting..Very interesting...
spiral

Postby spiral » 7:58 am

Well, that is me done....

I look forward to our Ingenious Engineer on the West.....

Our Applied Skepticologist on the North.......

Then The Saint can tell us it's all to do with the Channel isles. (and corvids)

I humbly submit, for your detailed attention...."On the origin and true history of the most important part of the Cointry......"
spiral

Postby Boreades » 2:01 pm

Sorry, late to the party, been distracted. I've been (figuratively) in Somerset, being a complete Knut, trying to prove to the Environment Agency ideologes that ye canna change the laws of physics (Jim). Of course, I failed.
Boreades

Postby hvered » 6:53 pm

spiral wrote:Then The Saint can tell us it's all to do with the Channel isles.
...."On the origin and true history of the most important part of the Cointry......"

Islands as we've sort of mentioned are banking hotspots. Could currency/ coinage be related to islands, rather conveniently placed along sea routes?

Money, monnaie, moneda... The orthodox etymology traces mint and money back to Rome (where else?) and moneta. Why not 'Mons' (Anglesey) or Mona as the Romans called it. Mons is said to mean unique, single, also 'mound' or small mount(ain).
hvered

PreviousNext

Return to Index