Celtic Wal/ Gal

Current topics

Re: Celtic Wal/ Gal

Postby Boreades » 11:47 am

Please excuse the pause, I've only just found how to rotate a digital copy of a large-scale navigation chart so the west is at the top.

First, the whole of the British Isles from Orkney (on the right) to Brittany on the left.

For a (literally) different point of view on how the high-status Celtic Saints (and the lower-status Trade peoples) may have viewed their navigable world. This is no "Celtic Fringe", this is Celtic Central, and Londonium is a long way away and less relevant.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 12:26 pm

We had been wondering but this is better than attending granny's funeral for the third time. If I might trespass on your new found skills, a wider map showing the contiguity (or not) of other parts of the Megalithic world would be even more useful.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 4:25 pm

Mick Harper wrote:If I might trespass on your new found skills, a wider map showing the contiguity (or not) of other parts of the Megalithic world would be even more useful.

No problem, which parts?
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 5:12 pm

Well, more than this. All I see is a cock-eyed Britain. If I might suggest:
1. Remove all extraneous detail. Just land and sea.
2. Include where people are trading with.
3. Stick in a few arrows if currents and prevailing winds are important.
4. Some red dots denoting nodal points.

Something like that.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 3:10 pm

Mick Harper wrote:Well, more than this. All I see is a cock-eyed Britain. If I might suggest:
1. Remove all extraneous detail. Just land and sea.
2. Include where people are trading with.
3. Stick in a few arrows if currents and prevailing winds are important.
4. Some red dots denoting nodal points.

Something like that.

Just to clarify, these are digital copies of the marine navigation charts produced by the UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO) in Taunton. Sadly, they are not editable, neither do they include graphics tools to do things like "stick in a few arrows".

The advantage of showing the marine contours, and shallow areas (shaded in green and blue) is a much more immediate understanding of what the land would have been like in megalithic times, with a lower sea level.
e.g. being able to walk between Guernsey and Herm, with perhaps just a paddle at low tide.

"if currents and prevailing winds are important" - they are indeed, and they have lots of arrows, to show how rapidly it changes, hour by hour!
For example, here's just three hours out of twelve.

No wonder that it says this in the "Saltair Na Rann", in connection with the Celtic Saints in their Schools of Knowledge. Being a carefully rebadged version of the Druids, to avoid the wrath of Columba & Co.

For each day five items of knowledge are required of everyone, with no appearance of boasting, who would be leader. The day of the solar month, the age of the moon, the state of the sea tide, without error, the day of the week, the calendar of the feasts of the deities.

The state of the sea tide is the part especially emphasised with "without error", as it's the part that changes most rapidly, in a cycle that doesn't synchronise with the natural day or 24 hours.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 3:41 pm

Just to clarify, these are digital copies of the marine navigation charts produced by the UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO) in Taunton.

I can see what they are, Borry.

Sadly, they are not editable, neither do they include graphics tools to do things like "stick in a few arrows".

Sadly, they are designed for mariners for naviagtional purposes, they are not designed for you to show to us what we need to know.

The advantage of showing the marine contours, and shallow areas (shaded in green and blue) is a much more immediate understanding of what the land would have been like in megalithic times, with a lower sea level. e.g. being able to walk between Guernsey and Herm, with perhaps just a paddle at low tide.

That's my point. This would indeed be exactly the sort of thing I should like to know but I haven't got a hope of spotting it, have I? If you've spotted it then you have to find a way of allowing me to see it as well.

"if currents and prevailing winds are important" - they are indeed, and they have lots of arrows, to show how rapidly it changes, hour by hour! For example, here's just three hours out of twelve.

Well, okay, you've dug up something but how am I the wiser for it? All I see is arrows.

No wonder that it says this in the "Saltair Na Rann", in connection with the Celtic Saints in their Schools of Knowledge. Being a carefully rebadged version of the Druids, to avoid the wrath of Columba & Co.

Good, good, this sounds interesting...

For each day five items of knowledge are required of everyone, with no appearance of boasting, who would be leader. The day of the solar month, the age of the moon, the state of the sea tide, without error, the day of the week, the calendar of the feasts of the deities.

Excellent! Now what about people who are not trained in these arts (or, indeed, of the modern arts) of navigation?

The state of the sea tide is the part especially emphasised with "without error", as it's the part that changes most rapidly, in a cycle that doesn't synchronise with the natural day or 24 hours.

I look forward to enlightenment. You knowing it is not sufficient for me to know it unless you also decide that the communication bit is part of your brief as well.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 3:55 pm

Re
Excellent! Now what about people who are not trained in these arts (or, indeed, of the modern arts) of navigation?

I refer my honourable colleague to Admiralty Tidal Stream Atlas NP264 - Channel Islands & Adjacent Coasts.

The area covered is centered on Jersey and includes the west coast of the Cherbourg Peninsula and the coast as far west as Portrieux. A separate plan shows Alderney and the Casquets.
Features:
At a glance both direction and rate of tidal streams at hourly intervals by careful and accurate use of graded arrows.
Display mean neap and spring tidal rate in tenths of a knot
Include a diagram to assist you to calculate the tidal stream rates for your required day

https://www.bookharbour.com/np264-admir ... -of-france

Give me a clue what other parts of the British Isles are of interest. Then I can find the relevant charts.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 4:11 pm

I'll get back to you after I've found my NP264. If only I had a chart of where I've left my charts. This is promising stuff, Borry, if you care to engage.
Mick Harper

Previous

Return to Index