What are megaliths made of?

Current topics

Re: What are megaliths made of?

Postby Boreades » 11:08 pm

Marko wrote:Taylor and Wheatley (and no doubt a great many other Megalitho-maniacs) seem to think they have all the answers to megaliths. To people with even a smidgeon of scepticism they seem pretty unscientific, perhaps self-deluded rather than fraudulent.

In the link that Boreades provided they admit they are setting out to prove beyond reasonable doubt that energy lines and I don't know what else really exist. It is not hard to find what you expect to find. Still, I expect the god particle will manifest itself at Cerne, eventually.

I'll admit that it's all too easy to delude oneself e.g. when looking for geometric patterns while staring at OS maps, as "evidence" of megalithic terraforming etc. LOOK - THERE'S A TRIANGLE!!! etc. But I wouldn't want our natural scepticism to blind us to the possibility that someone has actually found a tangible way of measuring something genuine. Even if they do then project it into delusional territories. Maybe the gentle and genuine way to resolve our doubts is to try and replicate the measurement techniques?
Boreades

Postby hvered » 10:18 am

Boreades wrote:Something doesn't quite ring true, because some tin workings were right down to the sea, or besides known ports. Unless some ports were closed to "foreigners" and there was a megalithic version of HM Border Agency rummaging all incoming vessels.

Or do we assume traders were welcome to moor their boats and trade, but not allowed to get near the actual sources?

The mines had a version of a border agency, corvids! Someone on the internet wrote that crows protected a monastery and made sure no-one left without a donation. On TV even tame birds seem to arouse a certain fear, the way they perch on people's shoulders within pecking range of their heads. English Heritage could make a killing by employing a few birds. No-one would climb Silbury Hill.

I've just caught up with the 'crow thread' on the Megalithic Portal where there's a post about jackdaws nesting in Stonehenge. For the front cover of The Megalithic Empire I wanted to put a corvid perched on or next to the dolmen but realised it would have looked like a book of fairy tales.
hvered

Postby Ajai » 10:28 am

Crows who are unafraid of humans and of fire would be quite at home in mining environments. In folklore crows/ravens are associated with (the origins of) fire.

Various native American myths say that Raven stole a fire brand (and the Sun, Moon and stars) thereby bringing fire to humans. In the process his feathers were burnt which accounts for ravens being black.
Ajai

Postby Martin » 8:09 pm

Marko wrote:Taylor and Wheatley (and no doubt a great many other Megalitho-maniacs) seem to think they have all the answers to megaliths. To people with even a smidgeon of scepticism they seem pretty unscientific, perhaps self-deluded rather than fraudulent.

The name Wheatley caught my interest, there was me thinking Maria must be the daughter of the remarkable novelist and maybe zombies and megaliths had somehow become interchangeable but no, her father (though also Dennis Wheatley) was a dowser. Perhaps the dowsing habit gets passed on by one generation to the next in which case you can't blame the child for the father's whims.
Martin

Postby Stuart » 8:21 pm

Martin wrote:Perhaps the dowsing habit gets passed on by one generation to the next in which case you can't blame the child for the father's whims.

My brother-in-law has successfully dowsed for water in the desert which is probably par for the course for a geology graduate whose father worked for Shell.

But dowsers are indeed 'self-deluded' in my experience. I have a friend who's been dowsing in Sussex as part of an investigation into the Norman landings. He assures me that dowsing rods can accurately date artefacts "Ask the rods to cross over at 800AD 1066 and 1253 AD and they only cross on 1066. Yes this was done over post-holes and human remains. My colleague did it himself after being shown how to and was mystified." Now, if someone said '1066' to me I expect I'd twitch a bit.
Stuart

Postby Boreades » 1:05 pm

Stuart wrote:
Martin wrote: Perhaps the dowsing habit gets passed on by one generation to the next in which case you can't blame the child for the father's whims.

My brother-in-law has successfully dowsed for water in the desert which is probably par for the course for a geology graduate whose father worked for Shell.

But dowsers are indeed 'self-deluded' in my experience. I have a friend who's been dowsing in Sussex as part of an investigation into the Norman landings. He assures me that dowsing rods can accurately date artefacts "[color=#0040FF]Ask the rods to cross over at 800AD 1066 and 1253 AD and they only cross on 1066. Yes this was done over post-holes and human remains. My colleague did it himself after being shown how to and was mystified." Now, if someone said '1066' to me I expect I'd twitch a bit.

More anecdotal evidence: An elderly friend on Australia trained and worked as a Agronomist for the Oz Gov for decades. During his youth he was taught how to dowse and used it many times as a professional Agronomist.

Re dowsers are 'self-deluded' - would that be in the sense of self-hypnosis, or an altered state of consciousness?
Boreades

Postby Martin » 10:53 pm

Boreades wrote: Re dowsers are 'self-deluded' - would that be in the sense of self-hypnosis, or an altered state of consciousness?

They're just following their peers, or parents in the Wheatley case. The problem as I see it is not that dowsing sucks (it often produces results) but the dowsers themselves seem to take pride in being mystical about it all.

Usually, if something works it's normal to find out how it works but the desire for group identity probably outweighs seeking the truth.
Martin

Postby Boreades » 11:30 pm

Martin wrote:
Boreades wrote: Re dowsers are 'self-deluded' - would that be in the sense of self-hypnosis, or an altered state of consciousness?

They're just following their peers, or parents in the Wheatley case. The problem as I see it is not that dowsing sucks (it often produces results) but the dowsers themselves seem to take pride in being mystical about it all.

Usually, if something works it's normal to find out how it works but the desire for group identity probably outweighs seeking the truth.

Ah, that's better, we're getting somewhere, because I think I do know how it works.

If you recall your O'Level Physics, any electrical charge moving through a magnetic field generates an ElectroMagnetic Force (EMF). See Maxwell's Equations, and how any electricity generator works. From cars to power stations. Now, flowing water is not ordinarily thought of as a moving electric charge. But all water contains a proportion of free ions, which are charged particles. Flowing through the Earth's magnetic field it must by definition generate an EMF.

Now, the only issue (for humans) is being aware of that EMF. Granted, it's a very weak EMF. But by comparison, human eyesight is acute enough, in certain circumstances, of detecting a single photon. We have other senses, some of which are dormant for most people. Like our sense of smell, which is an infrared EM energy property and mostly a lost skill for most humans (but that's another story, and talk to your dogs).

Likewise, if we could talk to pigeons and a few other birds, they would tell us how the electro-ferrite crystals embedded in their forebrains allow them to detect and resolve magnetic variations well enough to be a built-in GPS.

Humans can, in the right circumstances, wake up and tune into this low-level awareness of EMF variations. If that sounds a bit yogic, perhaps it's meant to.
Boreades

Postby Marko » 10:32 am

Is it known if humans had a sense of smell to rival that of, say, dogs? Some animals can smell water from a great distance, at least the ones that inhabit arid regions e.g. the oryx can. Perhaps they are attuned to pick up water's subtle electric charge. It might be why hermits, traditionally associated with the desert, are often shown with deer.
Marko

Postby Malmaison » 11:03 am

Martin wrote: The problem as I see it is not that dowsing sucks (it often produces results) but the dowsers themselves seem to take pride in being mystical about it all.

There was a great deal of excitement over the Michael and Mary lines that are supposed to follow similar but not-quite identical trajectories, I think. Forgive me if I've got this wrong as I haven't read Hamish Miller and Paul Broadhurst who apparently double-handedly set the hares running.

Perhaps they associate Michael, he of various mounts, and Mary, who is Isis/ earth mother, with the high and low places. In any case it seems travellers always have to have two routes, for summer and winter use respectively. No need to come up with fanciful names.
Malmaison

PreviousNext

Return to Index