Book & site list

Current topics

Re: Book & site list

Postby Boreades » 11:11 pm

Mick Harper wrote: I was puzzled since all accounts confirm that the sphinx, like all ancient monuments, were constantly painted the most vivid colours but neither he nor anyone else ever make reference to this, I would have thought, salient fact.

He probably thought your probing intellect was misplaced. Like, it's not likely they painted the sphinx while it was underwater.

Mick Harper wrote: I am writing to Athens to instruct them to paint the Parthenon. I want to witness the cries of 'barbarism' should they go for accuracy rather than that which we associate with ancient gravitas. I can do Stonehenge myself.

I wish you well with that. These pesky authorities can get snotty about outside help. I'm still waiting for a reply from English Heritage to my helpful suggestion that they should restore Avebury to its original condition of a white faceted pyramid. Strange that they've taken so long.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 6:30 pm

Have we mentioned Hugh Montgomery? He's written an interesting book called The God-Kings of Europe.

We can browse the book's contents via Google Books

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ccF ... de&f=false

So far, I've only read the first chapter and a bit of the second. He makes some interesting points.

1) The Vikings had been wandering all over Europe for centuries, in various guises, and it was only after Charlemagne started a Holy Crusade against them that they started bothering us in reprisal raiding.
2) To make Christianity acceptable to the Roman-based ruling elites of Europe, large chunks of the New Testament were (re)written to make sure the Romans didn't get the blame for killing Christ.
3) The oldest Gospels were chucked out as being too heretical.

That's as far as I've got.
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 1:27 am

Goddamn Cresta run. I've ordered a copy from Kensington & Chelsea. Goddamn Community Charge.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 6:00 pm

Mick Harper wrote:Sorry, I was being flippant. The full 56 minute monte is called Megalithomania -- An M J Harper Lecture and can be found here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6TFjNBJm

Still can't find it.

Can find this though.

Megalithomania UK
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqMVaZ ... 54pu5318dQ
e.g.
Gary Biltcliffe - The Belinus Line: The Spine of Albion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2e2A-l3M0

Have you been dropped from the Megalithomania team?
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 11:22 pm

New Years Honours list (TME style)

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/asb_mapsquare.php
Boreades

Postby Mick Harper » 1:45 am

Still can't find it.

Yes a U seems to have dropped off the end. Try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6TFjNBJmU

The videos you mention are all ten-minute trailers which you then have to buy.
Mick Harper

Postby Boreades » 4:49 pm

Mick Harper wrote: In order to do this he initially (in part 1) traces the history of the Druids using known historical sources. This isn't so much about the Druids as such, but the history of French interest in ‘earth mysteries’ in general. It seems that 'The Old Straight Track' idea of ley lines is alive and well in France, and has been for at least 80 years.

Yes.

Xavier Guichard (1870 - 1947). Born in Pesmes, Haute Saône, France. Became the director of Police in Paris.

Vice-President of the Société préhistorique française, in 1936 he published the now famous - "Eleuse Alaise: Enquête sur les origines de la civilisation européenne" [Investigation of the origins of European Civilization]

One of Guichard's curious claims to fame was that he appeared as the primary detective in the novels of Georges Simenon.

Guichard claimed to have discovered two prehistoric 'rose des vents' covering France and extending into other parts of Europe, based on 24 landscape alignments (corridors of incidence), all orientated so as to pass through a common centre-point (called Alaise). Secondly, he identified three European 'root' names; Burgos, Antium, and Alaise, which he believed (similar to his UK counterpart, Alfred Watkins) had different meanings associated with ancient mineral sources and trade, but more controversially, that the 'Alesian' locations had been placed according to their longitude and latitude.

Alaise was the hub of an archaic, yet very precisely surveyed, radial system of 24 ley lines which emanated from Alaise, in all directions, one ley line every 15 degrees of 360, and along these 'ley-lines' were also located ancient settlements named with etymological affinity to the town-name of the ley line system’s hub, Alaise...

Guichard also claimed to have found evidence of a separate 'solstice rose des vents' at Alesia, based on solar observations, creating a valuable connection between prehistoric geometry and astronomy, (and from which it may still be possible to date such a formation). He concluded that he had uncovered the vestiges of what had been called the 'Eleusian mysteries' by the Greeks. It is perhaps just a coincidence that both Stecchini and Guichard (supported by Manias), independently concluded that the true secret of the mysteries involved the application of longitude in relation to the placement of ancient and sacred sites. (More about the Eleusian mysteries below).

Referring to several old cities in his native Franch, Guichard said: "These cities were established in very ancient times according to immutable astronomical lines, determined first in the sky, then transferred to the earth at regular intervals, each equal to a 360th part of the globe."

And so on.

http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/xavierguichard.htm
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 12:46 pm

http://www.jrbooksonline.com/pob/pob_toc.html

L A Waddell was a British Army doctor who spent most of his service in the Empah out east.

Taught himself Tibetan and made several visits to Buddhist lamas and the like to get information. Spoke several Indian languages. And no doubt Latin and Greek as would befit a Victorian medical man.

Glasgoe university has a collection of his writings.

This particular book The Phoenician Origins of Britons, Scots and Anglo-Saxons traces the populating of Britain by Phoenicians and allied tribes. All connected through the Hittites or Khatti, Khassi, Cassi to northern India and their population and works of myth and literature as well as language.

For proof he starts with a discussion of the finds at Selsey of Phoenician coins and works from there. In the process he explains why English was in England and how it was taken to Europe from England with a conquering army of British Phoenicians.

Remarkably for a Victorian he ridicules the idea that the Welsh, Scots and Irish are Celts. In that century of Celtic Twilight he seems to be a beacon of light.

Well worth a read even if to harrumph. This version is an online version with clicky chapter titles to take you quickly through the book. Got pictures as well.
TisILeclerc

Postby Mick Harper » 12:30 am

I have downloaded though when I shall get a chance to read it will depend when I finish the God-Kings of Europe.
Mick Harper

Postby TisILeclerc » 12:40 pm

His basic argument is that the Hittites were part of an extended empire. They had their own names for themselves including Khattie, Cassi, Gad and so on.

One name in particular was Barat or Brihat which turns up as Brahamin in India. He spoke several Indian languages as well as Tibetan so he should know something about the languages.

The Phoenicians carried these names with them. Barat became Brit and place names like Barton and Burton are typical of their naming procedures.

The Dal Cass were a prominent clan in Ireland. I think the O'Briens had connections with them. Caithness in Scotland was of course the land of the Cat and is known in gaelic today as Cataibh. They held Orkney.

When they arrived in Britain older 'brothers' of theirs monopolised the tin trade in Cornwall so initially they sailed eastwards. They were against the snake people who he identifies as the indigenous Picts who were all over Britain.

Isle of Wight, Victis, Ictis etc. He believes the Picts' own name for themselves was the Ban or Van. They tended to live underground and were hunter gatherers rather than sophisticated builders.

He translates the Newton Stone in Scotland and from there he shows how many towns have the Bara type names whereas lots of others have the Peht names indicating Pictish settlements. In Fife, a Pictish name, we have Pittenweem which shows its Pictish origin but the 'weem' - 'womb' indicates their underground dwelling tradition.

Another name they brought was from Cilicia which they used as a place name. Such as Selsey Bill where they found the coins with Barat inscriptions on them.
TisILeclerc

PreviousNext

Return to Index