Book & site list

Current topics

Re: Book & site list

Postby Rocky » 12:41 pm

Holy Blood is complete tosh but no reason not to read fiction. As a fully paid-up atheist I distrust books that start off by assuming biblical people and events are historical without any evidence whatsoever except that 'It is written that'.
Rocky

Postby Mick Harper » 12:54 pm

What has atheism got to do with it? The Holy Blood does not require belief in the divinity of Jesus. Nor even his existence. It simply requires belief that lots of other people believed in him. Are you saying that Christianity was not of great sociological significance in Western Europe from c the fifth century?

It is thousands of years since I read the book but I'm pretty sure that the authors were a) all atheists and b) actually rather careful not to betray their own beliefs. This is quite important when writing about such matters. We mostly took the same position in TME by, for example, saying that 'there is a tradition that Mary Magdalen landed at Baume in southern France' without endorsing the fact, or even the existence of Mary Magdalen. The power of her name can be just as easily appropriated by the Megalithics as by the Catholic Church.
Mick Harper

Postby hvered » 5:16 pm

There may be a form of cognitive dissociation going on here, as often happens when receiving information; our brain absorbs facts which stick, even those we know aren't plausible when they are thought through. If thought through. The false information is reinforced by being repeated, even when it's known to be untrue (e.g. the Jesus blood-line).

This also applies to trustworthy i.e. academic sources as it's much easier to take all the information on trust than to examine each 'fact' individually.
hvered

Postby Mick Harper » 1:19 pm

Some of you may think I am biased when urging you to buy my History of Britain Revealed for Christmas but to jog your elbow here's a review that has just been posted on Amazon from a Mr Sven Forkbeard:

It is sad that so many people actually believe what M.J. Harper has written, and the review by H. J. Lomax pretty much sums up what is wrong with this book. I will not waste any more time writing about this horrifying travesty of an attempt to discredit the academic world. Do not buy this book, there are way better fantasy novels out there.

He's only kidding of course!
Mick Harper

Postby hvered » 9:49 am

a Mr Sven Forkbeard

There's a good Viking name. No sense of irony when he talks about discrediting the academic world even though we're being treated to a raft of 'Vikings aren't as bad as historians have thought' documentaries.

[I wonder if Scandinavian irony exists... there was a terrifically funny series on TV recently about an American crime-boss reinventing himself in Norway, he came up with all the wheezes as well as the best lines so one had to sympathise with the guy making the jokes]
hvered

Postby Oakey Dokey » 9:59 am

Having read 'Talisman' by Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval and found it repetitive and nauseating, I was pleasantly surprised at how it reinforced what I have found very suggestive in recent months when researching Masons and age-old religions. If you haven't read this book yet I will not spoil it except to say its main aim -- to prove a correlation of sky-ground, Egyptian, western hidden city similarities -- takes an age and could have been achieved in a book a quarter of the size without the 'padding'.

The original Kabbalah was a sort of mystical 'tag on' to the Hebrew beliefs using the Hebrew alphabet as its template.

There are basically two types of religion -- literal and allegorical.
The Masonic rites and the Kabbalah belong to the allegorical category with the deliberate intention to replace literal facts and events with symbolism and deeper meaning without the intention to deceive (the initiated). The Masonic degrees, at least up to the 30th, make no apology for getting history wrong.

For an example, different types of Masonic practice believe that it is founded from the builders of the second Solomon temple, others from the Tower of Babel (Israel's imprisonment and slavery in Babylon). The history time-lines are also skewed such as the lineage unbroken from before the great flood (of Noah) to David and the first temple, even though there are in some cases obvious gaps. The most interesting point is that the story they tell is more important to their ideology than the accuracy.

This is where things start to break down, or at least for me as I'm not adept at seeing symbolism above facts, so find great difficulty in understanding why such an eastern way of doing things is prevalent today amongst the learned and influential of Western culture.
Oakey Dokey

Postby Donna » 10:18 am

Like Oakey I'm interested in freemasonry and 'Talisman' is the only book by Graham Hancock that I've read, most disappointing as the hype had led me to expect great insights. Funnily enough. a friend sent a link advertising a talk by Hancock in London called 'A Species with Amnesia', so I looked it up to see what sort of talk we were likely to get and decided if there is only one idea being offered it wasn't worth the effort. Also he is clearly a lot older than his very striking photo suggests!
Donna

Postby hvered » 10:37 am

Talking of talks, here's one for the diary:

WALKING THE ANCIENT LANDSCAPE – the signs to look for

Description:

Nobody knows how Ancient Britons navigated round the country. Nobody knows what the stone circles such as Stonehenge were for. The authors, Harriet Vered and Mick Harper, demonstrate that it was the stone circles that told people how to navigate! But these are only the main road junctions in a whole landscape filled with visual signposts. You will now be able to walk the Ridgeway, or indeed local road systems, with a completely new understanding.

It'll be dealing with navigating around the countryside based on the Megalithic System as outlined in TME, or something along those lines.

24 January 2013, 6.30 pm, at Wokingham library. £2. All welcome!
hvered

Postby Martin » 2:09 pm

Most people prefer books written by someone who is at least vaguely familiar. 'Twas ever thus probably.

"Homer" doesn't exist. And neither does "Aesop". It's official!
Martin

Postby Ajai » 2:14 pm

Homer is named for Hermes. Probably.
Ajai

PreviousNext

Return to Index