Keeping your feet dry, 8,000BC

Current topics

Re: Keeping your feet dry, 8,000BC

Postby TisILeclerc » 9:30 pm

Row is a line or thread

Tracey could be to do with track

Could Nyemet Rowland and Nyemet Tracey relate to something like the 'way or track of the Germans'?

In other words the transporters who came to take the ore or whatever away from the production site to the next point in the process?
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 7:54 am

Nyemet appears to be the older part of each place name. The suffixes are from the Norman/Whatever immigrant overlord families that took over. Unless the immigrants changed their names to match where they moved to?
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 12:02 pm

Curiously, the priests in Egypt were "hem-netjer" (=Servants of God), who were allowed to enter the sanctuary.

Does that sound similar?

http://www.ancient-egypt-priests.com/AE ... nglish.htm
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 12:18 am

Mick Harper wrote:One of the good things about Cameron is that, after initial weakkneedism, he shows some signs that he can provide proper government ie stand above this debate to represent the 'national interest' (or even 'the world interest' -- one of Britain's traditional roles). Presumably though this will only become fully realised after the next election when he has rid himself of the haplessly mollycoddling Liberal yoke. Unfortunately this risks Rampant ie selfish Toryism once the beneficient liberal moderating influence has been removed.

And lo, it came to pass....
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 12:32 am

Has Lord Harper been at the sherry again Mr Perkins?
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 12:37 am

Goodness knows what he'll do after Downton Abbey is closed down.
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 12:42 am

I can see him now on the balcony, a glass of Glenmorangie in his hand, (£19 a bottle if you hurry at the Co-op) and a few chosen words.

After that it all goes misty I'm afraid. Ah that Glenmorangie many a lad has ......
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 12:49 am

By Jove, I do believe it was Glenmorangie that m'lady found in our local Co-op's "to clear" rack. Finest single malt, marked down to clear, because the shop had got some "best before" stickers on the bottles. She couldn't believe her luck, and neither could me dear ol' Da', who liked a wee dram or ten, when we gave him a bottle.
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 12:54 am

Borry me ould lad, don't let that harper feller know but there's really something in the ould whisky

Get yerself to Bennett's bar in Edinburgh and you'll see small shelves at the back of the bar with bottles of a clear liquid.

The labels are plain paper with either type written or hand written descriptions, usually numbers, on them.

They are worth buying. If they still sell them.

Don't let Harper know. He's not worthy. He drinks Watney's Red Barrel so I've heard.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 5:04 pm

A while ago I was wittering about The Greater Ridgeway being the one and only "keep your feet dry" route across Southern England. I idly wondered why the path goes to East Anglia, and towards Doggerland.

This map has made me wonder some more.

The Greater-Greater Ridgeway could easily have gone as far as the upper reaches of the Rhine, and then toward Goseck, the German equivalent of Avebury or Stonehenge.

What did they speak on Doggerland?
Boreades

PreviousNext

Return to Index