Keeping your feet dry, 8,000BC

Current topics

Re: Keeping your feet dry, 8,000BC

Postby Boreades » 6:44 pm

Could the alluvial deposits that the BGS record be the evidence/remains of what was washed there by the Storegga Slide tsunami that destroyed Doggerland? or other similar events?
Boreades

Postby macausland » 3:14 pm

jon

'However, the key thing is the coastal areas. The water level of the sea will not be raised by higher rainfall and stored ice: The water level of the sea will be lower. Some areas will be more prone to occasional flooding, but this is very different to a permanent shoreline.'

As I understand it, sea levels won't rise due to the melting of sea ice but they would surely rise with the melting of ice on land once that water reaches the sea?

I have also read that a lot of water was released into the Atlantic from a huge inland sea in north America. Added to that, the weight of ice in northern Britain is supposed to have led to the raising of the coastline of southern England. Once that weight was gone, the northern lands raised up and southern Britain sank lower.

The water systems in the first maps would have eventually dried up or run away, leaving the landscape more or less as we see it today.
macausland

Postby jon » 5:23 pm

As I understand it, sea levels won't rise due to the melting of sea ice but they would surely rise with the melting of ice on land once that water reaches the sea?

Correct. But if the ice is still melting, the sea will rise after it has melted. After it has melted, the sea level will be higher (What we have today).

I have also read that a lot of water was released into the Atlantic from a huge inland sea in north America.

Yes. A likely hypothesis. Canada: A giant inland lake surrounded by ice. Again, after the ice has melted and added to the Oceans' volume, the water levels will rise.

Added to that, the weight of ice in northern Britain is supposed to have led to the raising of the coastline of southern England. Once that weight was gone, the northern lands raised up and southern Britain sank lower.

If the coastline is raised above the already lowered water level, there will be more dry land, not less. I'm not convinced that Robert has fully thought through his arguments!
jon

Postby spiral » 11:14 am

I have to say I am mega(lithically) impressed by Boro's re-imagining of Stonehenge as a sea henge. He clearly needs to get out less.....
spiral

Postby Boreades » 11:52 am

jon wrote: I'm not convinced that Robert has fully thought through his arguments!

Ditto, especially his idea that Wansdyke (etc) were canals across the hilltops.

As so many rivers and streams (in Wiltshire especially) are winter bournes, I'm not convinced that they would be full of water 100% of the time as Robert suggests. But they would be full of water some of the time, especially in winter. Nevertheless, you wouldn't want to build roads and buildings where they are likely to get flooded for even part of the year. So all over Britain there would be a "baseline contour", below which it is a flood plain, and best avoided.

Recent events in Britain show the modern-day stupidity of building on flood plains that are "only" likely to flood for a few days a year.
Boreades

Postby macausland » 6:06 pm

Here's someone else who has written a book claiming it was surrounded by water.

In this case a lake full of hot water.

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/ ... ref=twtrec
macausland

Postby Boreades » 8:23 pm

macausland wrote:Here's someone else who has written a book claiming it was surrounded by water.

In this case a lake full of hot water.

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/ ... ref=twtrec

An interesting find.
Consistent with the idea of a higher water level.
But where did the hot water come from?

His publisher's book description reads more like a novel.
http://www.pegasuspublishers.com/edge-of-the-blue.html
Confusing!
Boreades

Postby spiral » 9:35 am

Boreades wrote:Confusing!

It is a novel. It is his(story)

http://blog.stonehenge-stone-circle.co. ... ue-stones/

See halfway down.

“Stonehenge is older than it looks, it was built to defeat the greatest threat mankind ever faced, the Ice Age and it succeeded.”

Spiral is thinking about buying the film rights......
spiral

Postby macausland » 11:13 am

Boreades

'But where did the hot water come from?'

He mentions the Avon Gorge. Before the gorge there is the Hotwells area of Bristol which was famous for its, er, hot wells.

Perhaps there was an original source of the heat coming from underground which linked this possible lake, Bath and Hotwells?

Otherwise I'll buy into Spiral's blockbuster as soon as I cash in my saving stamps.
macausland

Postby macausland » 11:39 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... today.html

The Daily Mail is keeping up with the flood news with photographs.

The first photograph in the article is a picture of the destruction of a 'megalithic' part of the Cornish coast at Porthcothan Bay. The whole of the central section has been washed away leaving what looks like an artificial joint squared off to take the now missing upper structure.

Other photos of interest are of Muchelney in Somerset which now looks like an island with the churches still out of harm's way on dry land. Further photos show other churches and abbeys in a similar situation. Perhaps this ties in with the ancients keeping their feet dry in the past.

Wiki tells us that Muchelney means 'the increasingly great island'. It may be a thought to check all villages ending in 'ey' to see what height they are above the surrounding countryside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muchelney
macausland

PreviousNext

Return to Index