Fire and Ice.

Current topics

Re: Fire and Ice.

Postby Komorikid » 9:29 pm

Certain characteristics, such as high levels of tin, identify a comet as the origin of the alien dust, Abbott said

This is total speculation if not total BS. Comets are supposed to be dirty snow balls or snowy dirt balls. Astrophysicists still can't make up their minds which.

Certain characteristics such as

Read: “I haven't got a clue but I’ll clutch at any straw that help my theory”

Ice core data record evidence of a volcanic eruption in 536, but it almost certainly wasn't big enough to change the climate so dramatically, Abbott said.

“almost certainly wasn’t big enough”

Read: I haven’t got a clue but if it was my theory is toast

"There was, I think, a small volcanic effect," she said. "But I think the major thing is that something hit the ocean."

Virtually every literate culture around in AD 536 recorded the devastating effect of the change of climate. Not one of them mentions seeing a comet as a precursor to the disasters. The most feared harbinger of danger in ancient and medieval times would have been front and centre in the chronicles of the times.

She and her colleagues have found circumstantial evidence of such an impact. The Greenland ice cores contain fossils of tiny tropical marine organisms — specifically, certain species of diatoms and silicoflagellates.

If the volcanic eruption was massive, was tropical and the caldera collapsed into the sea (like Santorini) what would you expect to find in the ice core samples: Perhaps “certain fossils of marine organisms”.

An extraterrestrial impact in the tropical ocean likely blasted these little low-latitude organisms all the way to chilly Greenland, researchers said.

A terrestrial volcanic eruption in a tropical ocean likely blasted these little low-latitude organisms all the way to chilly Greenland.

Specifically a volcanic eruption in the Sunda Straight that was so powerful it not only blasted millions of tonnes of debris into the atmosphere it turned a former single island into two new islands Sumatra and Java.

Maybe Dallas Abbot should read more and speculate less. I suggest he starts with Catastrophe, by David Keys. It outlines a very plausible theory based on factual geological evidence and written testimony from multiple cultural sources throughout the world that existed in the Sixth Century.
Paul M
Komorikid

Postby Boreades » 10:36 pm

Greenland ice cores could well contain fossils of tiny tropical marine organisms, just from tsunamis in the Atlantic. One such event is predicted as overdue from the Azores-Gibraltar zone.
e.g.
http://www.livescience.com/19656-gibral ... -zone.html
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 7:02 am

The BBC site has an article today claiming that the volcanic culprit may have been El Chichon in Mexico.

Scientists think they can now tie the disruption that hit Mayan civilisation in the 6th Century to an eruption of the El Chichon volcano.

A Dutch team has investigated ash fall deposits, finding the age of the materials to be a good match for the so-called Mayan "hiatus".

This was a time when the sophisticated central Americans experienced cultural upheaval and political instability.

They also abandoned many of their favoured lowland sites.

A sulphur spike in ice core records from the poles indicates there was a big eruption somewhere on Earth in AD 540 - right at the start of the multi-decade hiatus.

It must have been a major event to have left such a distinctive signature in the frozen layers, and very likely led to global climate impacts and severe environmental degradation in the region of the blast.

Previous research has offered up Ilopango in El Salvador as the culprit.

Radiocarbon dating of tree remains puts this volcano in the vicinity timewise - but not convincingly so, argues Kees Nooren from Utrecht University.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36086096

His interest is trying to model the climate disruption that stems from volcano blasts.

When he does this for the "double event" of AD 536 and 540, his simulations come out in good agreement with historical archives.

Tree ring data in northern Europe from this time indicates there was very strong cooling - something you might expect if large volumes of sulphate aerosols were dispersed across the globe.

Archaeological evidence and other information also speak to societal disruption, such as a run of poor harvests and outbreaks of plague.

Dr Toohey said his simulations suggested there was a reduction in average summer temperatures across Northern Europe of two degrees.

"We estimate that if you take these two eruptions together and look at their impact over a 10-year period, focusing on the Northern Hemisphere - then this double event would have been clearly the strongest volcanic forcer of climate of at least the last 1,200 years, probably more like 2,000 years."

Once they've managed to match the sulphur samples found in the ice with this volcano it looks as if it was the cause of that climate change with all the consequences that went with it.
TisILeclerc

Postby Boreades » 7:33 am

Do we find any mention in recorded British history of what must have seemed like a Wasteland? Or was it put in the historical waste bin? (mythology)
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 8:15 am

It appears that the whole of Europe was affected, including Britain.

http://www.academia.edu/5644885/The_Jus ... century_AD

The above link is for a document. You can read it on screen but try and download it and you've got to go through all sorts of hoops. Which I went through but couldn't save it to my computer. You'll need to read it as it is or perhaps copy all the text and paste into a word processor.

Having said that it has now downloaded. It was sent to my email address in Word format. I suppose I'll have to read it now.

Here's Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_w ... 2%80%93536

This article quotes from various sources.
TisILeclerc

Postby TisILeclerc » 10:57 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... arted.html

The Daily Mail reports today on a scientific study on how the ice age started and continued.

For some reason they call the British Isles 'Celtic' and there is no reference to Doggerland. Which has been replaced with the North Sea.

They don't mention the lack of ice in parts of Ireland which was demonstrated recently by analysing the dna of the Irish mountain hare which is much older than mountain hares from elsewhere and which pre dates the ice age. The same goes for the spruce trees in western Norway which are older than those to the east and match the dna of ancient remains found in pre ice age peat bogs.

However, it does show the southern limit of ice in the south of 'Celtic' which seems to match the direction of the Michael Line.

Perhaps the hardy souls in that part of the world drew a chalk mark in the ground to show where the ice stopped. Or perhaps they built a series of observation posts to keep an eye on it?
TisILeclerc

Previous

Return to Index