Who Built The Stones?

Current topics

Re: Who Built The Stones?

Postby hvered » 2:41 pm

According to Wiki,
Brehon (Irish: breitheamh - IPA brʑeçəvɤ or brʑeçuː) is a term for a historical arbitration, mediative and judicial role in Gaelic culture. Brehons were part of the system of Early Irish law, which was also simply called "Brehon law".

and the article goes on to say brehons were arbitrators, sort of judges, with the know-how to settle disputes at a high level. Whether this system is 'Irish' or a more widely applied 'information network' isn't stated. Judging by the confusion, perhaps due to their apparent relatedness, of saints [and indeed the strange case of the Rolls of Oleron] the latter seems likely.

So it may be that offshore and/or tidal islands were for professional pilots, people with detailed knowledge of local conditions.
hvered

Postby TisILeclerc » 2:54 pm

Breve, which is more or less the pronunciation, is a reference to law.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/breve
Law.

an initial writ.
a writ, as one issued by a court of law.

Did the Irish get it from the Latins or the other way round?
TisILeclerc

Postby hvered » 3:49 pm

How is breve the same word as brehon?

I'd have thought 'brehon' is likely to be related to French, e.g. broyer to crush, grind (waves broiling between and over the rocks). It's not that uncommon for a dangerous channel to be a 'cauldron'.
hvered

Postby TisILeclerc » 5:48 pm

It's the same word as 'breitheamh'

Dwelly:

britheamh /brʲhəv/
fir. gin. -eimh, iol. -an
1 judge 2 umpire 3 adjudicator 3 (pl.) Judges (in Bible)

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3 ... endocument

Prior to English rule, Ireland had its own indigenous system of law dating from Celtic times, which survived until the 17th century when it was finally supplanted by the English common law. This native system of law, known as the Brehon law, developed from customs which had been passed on orally from one generation to the next. In the 7th century AD the laws were written down for the first time. Brehon law was administered by Brehons (or brithem). They were the successors to Celtic druids and while similar to judges; their role was closer to that of an arbitrator. Their task was to preserve and interpret the law rather than to expand it.

Perhaps because of the tides it was a place of judgement. Do we go left, right, or wait for a bit?
TisILeclerc

Postby hvered » 6:21 pm

Interesting, thank you! Reminds me of Caldey (Island) supposedly a Viking word for 'cold island' because of its similarity to (al)calde in Spanish/Portuguese, meaning mayor cum magistrate cum judge. Alcalde first came into use with the Reconquista, i.e. in the 'Dark Age', supposedly from the Arabic cadi or qadi which also means judge... from the sixteenth century according to Wiki.

[Cadiz may be the same word, i.e. Cadis (written Quadis in Arabic, Gadir or Agadir in Phoenician and then Carthaginian). Alcaide which means the governor of a prison is said to be 'not related' but I'm not so sure. Cadiz and other tidal islands were pretty fortress-like for the most part.]
hvered

Postby Boreades » 12:37 am

Caldey (Island) = Culdee

Not to be confused with the Culdee Fell Railway.
Boreades

Postby Boreades » 12:49 am

TisILeclerc wrote: It's the same word as 'breitheamh'
Dwelly:

britheamh /brʲhəv/
fir. gin. -eimh, iol. -an
1 judge 2 umpire 3 adjudicator 3 (pl.) Judges (in Bible)

Perhaps because of the tides it was a place of judgement. Do we go left, right, or wait for a bit?

Yes. Even in our era of GPS and radio comms, getting the state of the tides correct is still considered a great test of a sailing ship and its captain's judgement. For some, it is still a test by ordeal. It certainly can be while you are taking the Coastal Skipper or Oceanmaster Exams! Get it right and the sea is your friend. Get it wrong and you will be judged harshly by the seas, to the detriment of you and your crew.
Boreades

Postby TisILeclerc » 8:25 am

Borry

Caldey (Island) = Culdee

Funny that. When I looked at the map there seemed to be something familiar about lots of the names.

Petit creux and chercreux could refer to hollows in the landscape but creuset means crucible or melting pot and with nearby gross ferriere which sounds rather ironish perhaps there was a bit of smelting going on? As for Tinker which is also in the neighbourhood, I wonder how that one got there?

There is also Vermorette with the familiar 'ver' or 'worm' at the beginning. I'm not sure what Vermorette means but 'vermeil' is bright red which is what a furnace would be.

Les Barbees could refer to a name often used where beardies lived. These are usually seen as priests or druids.

And in the same vein perhaps Corbette could be related to corvette or back to the old Corbies.

On the other hand I may be still half asleep and my imagination has got stuck between tides.
TisILeclerc

Postby hvered » 8:33 am

Why are there so many French names on Caldey Island? Is it something to do with Cistercian monks getting their hands dirty here?
hvered

Postby Boreades » 3:09 pm

Robin Heath and John Michell mention the island in "The Lost Science of Measuring the Earth: Discovering the Sacred Geometry of the Ancients."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=efc ... &q&f=false
Boreades

PreviousNext

Return to Index